I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ink signatures on rods
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 22, 2009 03:19PM

I noticed a comment in a recent issue of RodBuilder concerning how Heddonuse to ink by hand all of the rod information. I still have the remains on one of theie rods and remember the inking work. Can you still do that today? How would you apply the lettering? How did Heddon apply their lettering? Any thoughts or comments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ink signatures on rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2009 05:29PM

India ink, hand inscribed. White or black ink. Seal with CP and apply finish over it.

Date: June 22, 2009 07:34PM

Thanks Tom!

Posted by: Karen Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 07:02AM

I write on the rods with liquid gold leafing using a quill pen. i like the gold if you are not use to a quill pen it does take a bit of pratice but the trick is to let the quill draw the ink up into the quill not to dip the quill into the ink. The gold leafing drys quickly and is not really easy to remove is best to always to pratice on a scrap rod first. Also one needs to use an extra fine nib.
Karen

Date: June 23, 2009 09:39AM

How do you clean the quill?

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: June 23, 2009 12:20PM

I have used the liquid Gel pens and they work well once the ball in the pen gets rolling and moves the ink. Le tthe ink dry and cover with finish. CP may be a good Idea to put over the ink before the finish. The neat part about these pens is that they come in a large variety of colors.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 02:59PM

You can clean your Quills by using alcohol wipes. Also when using liquid gold leafing make sure your letter is correct, because if it dries it is a pain to remove. My wife (Karen) now does my liquid gold leafing lettering for me. Another hint, You can also use Acrylic paints that have been thinned down with distilled water. If you do use Acrylics make use you cover the lettering with one coat of CP, making sure you just wipe in one direction

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Karen Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 03:30PM

I am very careful with my quills if not using them for more than a min or so I have a container of alcohol that I set my quill in and I always make sure they are clean so I do not get blobs of ink when writing or drawing with them. I have used the quill with the liquid gold leaf to draw a medical insignia on a 2 weight fly rod verse Bob trying to weave on such a small rod and adding any extra weight to the rod. Took me a bit of practice was able to make the snakes on the insignia look as though they had texture to their body and face. The nice thing I like about the gold leafing verse other medias is that we have had no running/smearing issues when putting on the finish.
Karen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 03:34PM by Karen Balcombe.

Date: June 23, 2009 03:33PM

OH Heck now she is editing my work LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 08:13PM

Mark,
When first starting into rod building, I searched many many different combinations for lettering on rods.

The technique that I have finally been satisfied with is the use of a fine line quill pen, and testors model pain in the color of my choice.

Most of the lettering is done in gold, silver, or white.

Since Xylene is one of the components of the paint, this solvent is used to clean the paint from unwanted areas as well as to clean any brushes or the quill.

If you use a plastic quill holder, one needs to be very careful in the use of Xylene, since Xylene will melt the plastic quill holder.

Good luck
Roger

Date: June 23, 2009 08:21PM

Sorry Robert, Thank you Karen...
Mark

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.propel.com)
Date: June 23, 2009 09:34PM

I use a quill pen/steel nib pen. I use Doc. Martin Irridescent inks that come in many colors. I really like this ink since it thins and cleans up with alcohol. The irridescent properties makes this ink glow when it is in the sunlight. The colors can be mixed to create another color.

I polish my nibs on really fine sand paper (1500 to 2000 grit), and then buff them with a dramel tool. When I can not feel the nib scratching a piece of paper, they are good. I am still trying to figure out what nib to use. There are regular nibs that come in anything from soft to hard, and then there is crow quill nibs that come the same way.

One thing about using alcohol to thin the Doc Martin inks is: work in small quantities. several drops of ink to a drop of alcohol. Use a seperate container to do this mixing.Trying to thin the whole bottle really messes things up.

My handwritting is less then bad. I use my computer to generate a font that I like, and then practice matching it on paper. I then try to match it on a scrap piece of rod blank.

I have never seen the "water slide decals" I am wondering if I can't generate a font I like, place it under the decal material, and then copy it in an ink color I like?

Date: June 24, 2009 04:19AM

Mike where do you get your Doc Martin ink?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 11:17AM

Have you ever tried using dry letter transferring? Once you see it or use it I don't think you will ever want to use ink again. I use a 18 point script and I think it can't be beat. To me it looks real classy and professional.

Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2009 01:13AM

Call me old school and not in age, to be honest quite the opposite. But I learned from a local rodbuilder how to do my signatures.

I just use the same pen that every rodbuilding supplies place sells for a few bucks and Testors Enamel model paint. If you make a mistake then you wipe and start over. Just try not to make too many mistakes because I wipe with Acetone. I've learned one thing in rodbuilding. Everything can be cleaned up with Acetone. The key to a nice signature with this pen is nice penmanship. If you've got bad penmanship that you can most likely disregard this post.

Tony Ruffino

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster