I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7ft 3-piece medium salt spinning rod blank
Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 12:37PM

looking for a 3 piece tarpon blank. 12-20lb 1/2-3oz lure. prefer faster tip

any of the sponsors offer any?

thx

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7ft 3-piece medium salt spinning rod blank
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2009 03:27PM

St Croix offers two nice 3 piece models in the 12-20# class ... 2SW70MHF3 and 2SW76MHF3. However, the lure range you have specified is not compatible with the line class you have chosen. That lure weight is more in keeping with a 17-40# line class.

BTW, I build tarpon rods and fish for them regularly. Unless you are going to catch some mighty small tarpon, they will take a 12-20# rod and beat you senseless with it. The odds of you ever getting one to the boat are VERY slim.

I am not aware of any blanks in a multi-piece design that can handle a modest juvenile tarpon, much less an adult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2009 03:28PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 04:45PM

You hit my problem square on the head. (You also caught me trying to stretch the lure weight 1/2 oz.)

I'm continuing my quest to replicate my old loomis l844-2 10-20lb 5/8-2.5oz with a 3piece. that rod has caught striped marlin, pacific sails and 80lb yellowfin though I admit, never a tarpon. I've tried though & they don't scare me.

bps advertises a travel rod in this range but I've never seen it.

If I go up to the heavier line, what would you recommend? I really want to spool it lighter but maybe that just isn't realistic.

Thx

Jay

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 08:24PM

Might get with the Batson clan and ask them about the IC 847-3. I have a few out there with some guys that carry then just about anywhere they go north or south. The rod was designed to throw the big plugs to peacock bass so it will throw some weight. The action is a bit different than the Loomis livebait blanks I've tried.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 20, 2009 10:00PM

The IC 847-3 is rated for a 2 oz..It's a great blank. I had no problem with the Batson SB845-3 in Mexico with good sized sailfish, but we were throwing live bait , and it's rated at 1 1/2 oz. Not sure how lure ratings work, but I know I could have thrown some pretty heavy swim baits with no problem. Bothn these blanks are fast action and moderate to heavy power.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster