I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inexpensive lathes are they worth it?
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bos-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 06:24AM

I've been doing a little research on inexpensive lathes and wondered if they would be ok for turning cork grips. I'm talking about the lathes that are around 175. Maybe single speed. Or is it smarter to get a good one like a Jet?
Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inexpensive lathes are they worth it?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2009 06:41AM

I had an inexpensive hand-me-down and upgraded recently to a Jet 1220. Talk about turning on a light switch! Save your money and get a nice lathe and be done with it. The new lathe makes the work MUCH easier. Things that used to be a challenge are child's play and I am moving into new areas as earlier stumbling blocks have been lifted.

See my latest venture, acrylic winding checks ... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 07:07AM

I was in the same boat as you when I was looking to buy my first lathe. Thought I could save some money and such. But I finally bought the Jet lathe and never looked backed.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 08:28AM

SOme of them are very good and come highly recommended on this forum. WHen I first started out I thought what's the difference and spent $160 on a HArbor Freight lathe. 3 months later I gave it away, which made the Delta Midi that I then purchased more expensive. MAke sure you can find accesories that fit teh head/tailstock.

Another thing to look for - is how to change the belts to adjust speed. SOme of the lathers (JEt's too) have an awful set up with the door behind where you stand, which makes changing teh belts a sucky process. I change speed frequently, and when I work on other people's lathes at NERBs gatherings, I often have lots of difficulties.

Posted by: Pat Helton (66.235.82.---)
Date: June 20, 2009 09:19AM

I bought a lathe off of @#$%& for $130 and a four jaw chuck for $50. Later I added a drill chuck for $30. I turn cork, wood, and EVA with no problem. I don't know what else I couild want for it. I forgot to mention that I got the bed extension with my lathe. If there is anything I don't have don't tell me or I will have to get it.
Pat

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 10:14AM

IMO I would definitely pay more for a variable speed lathe and one with bed extension. The ability to slow down while sanding and finishing is enjoyable. While I never thought about turning more I have turned more pens than I ever turned handles. Woodturning has always fascinated me. I saw a Rikon last month at Woodcraft and I thought the indexing feature was really nice to have. It is always easier to spend someone else's money but I would say get the best one you can. The incremental inital cost can save a lot in the long run. Look at AMazon. I don't like plugging non sponsors but you can't be the free shipping on the heavy stuff.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 12:35PM

I would definitly go for the variable speed as you see from Billy's post changing belts to change speeds is old world and a pain.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 20, 2009 02:07PM

Everyone has to decide for themselves but I would stick to a brand that you know will do what you will ever want to do. The lathe itself is just part of the investment. Buying a "cheap" lathe can cost you more in the long run when you find out that many of the accessories (chucks, extension beds, etc) routinely available, won't fit. Turncrafter Pro, Jet, Delta, Ricon, etc are very similar and reasonable. I would highly recommend the extension bed and the variable speed. If you can't afford the VS, Penn State offers a VS conversion kit that works great on any of these lathes. I have had one for about a year and love it!! [www.pennstateind.com]

I have a Turncrafter Pro and love it [www.pennstateind.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 03:57PM

I got my Delta midi lathe on sale from Amazon last year shipped to my door for $150. Yes, I have to change belt speed by hand as I don't have the varialble speed but with the Delta, the door is right in the front and the 5 seconds it takes for me to swap pulleys has never bothered me. You can't go wrong with any of the name brand midi lathes. Turncrafter, Delta, Jet, Rikon....heck...even Mudhole has a lathe on their website now.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2009 05:17PM

The Rikon offers additional length which may negate the need to buy the extension. It's in the same price range as most of the 10 or 12 inch swing lathes, but longer. For that reason it's a top value for rod builders.

Mud Hole is offering the Turncrafter Pro. If you decide to go that route, I'm sure they'll provide any and all information you might want on it.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 07:12PM

WOOOOHOOOOO !!!!!!! ............. just got back from an @#$%& and I got a JML 1014 VSI JET LATHE ........... in the box ........... for ......... $130 ........... and my kids paid for it for Fathersday ..........

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: June 21, 2009 08:22AM

I purchased the Pioneer Lathe and extension from Acid Rod. So far I am very happy with it.

Steve

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2009 05:47PM

I forgot about their lathe. Now 2 of the sponsors here have lathes. Would be good to support them.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2009 09:26AM

Same story for me. I wandered into the turning world by getting a "deal" on @#$%&. The headstock didn't fit any chucks as it was an odd size and it turned out to be a giant paper weight as I didn't want to turn baseball bats. I sold it to a buddy and bought a turncrafter pro and love it. Except I would agree that buying a variable speed model is the right thing to do. I'm going to upgrade mine with the variable kit.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster