I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

braid vers mono
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 19, 2009 01:16PM

Hi guys:
Is there a general rule as to how strong braids are compared to mono ? I mean lb test of braid is as strong as ? lb test of mono.

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: braid vers mono
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: June 19, 2009 01:18PM

They are the same on a steady pull. The difference will be the diameter. 10lb braid will be much smaller than 10lb mono will be. Diameter for diameter the braid will be stronger than the mono.

One thing that I have noticed is that due to not having as much stretch, on an impact the braid will break at less than the mono will.

Posted by: brandon edwards (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 01:35PM

10 lb braid is about the same diameter as 4 lb mono.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 19, 2009 02:12PM

I have 4 lb braid on my UL. I would not take this in hand and try to break it. It will probably take my fingers off. But I would take 4 lb mono and know it will break, easy. I know it is thinner, but what about how strong is it ? Compared to mono. 4 lb braid as strong as 10 lb mono, any general rules here ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2009 02:37PM

Each manufacturer's product line is different. However, on average ... 10# braid will break at 23-26#. Braid will break much at a much lower rating when "shocked" or snapped abruptly. Pulled slow and steady, it is some tough stuff. The higher the line test, the more closely it comes to the actual rating. For example, 50# Power Pro actually breaks around 55#. That's a far cry from 10# Power Pro breaking at over twice the rating on the box.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 02:39PM

As with BOTH line types, most are way under rated on the box.

It's great to buy a line marked 4lb test and have it to be as strong as 8lb test, it SELLS and everyone is happy, thus it's done.

I'd say the average 4/10 braid would have a breaking strength of about 17lbs. Just figure the box rating and up it by 5/8 and you're close.

Some lines do have actual breaking tests per box ratings, but they are rare.

DR

Posted by: Jaime Choy (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 02:55PM

In comparing braid to mono you have to specify what brands of braid and what brand of mono. Breaking strength of each vary a lot depending of who makes them. I have used 10# Power pro braid with 10# Maxima UG as a top shot. They are both about the same strength as far as steady pull. If you were to measure the strength they both would probably break at about 14# of force. Braid will cut you a lot easier because of it's smaller diameter and not because it is stronger given the same strength rating on the spool. The smaller diameter of braid is an advantage and also a disadvantage. Advantage in that it casts a lot easier in spinning gear than mono and it has much less drag in the water allowing you to go deeper with lighter weights. Disadvantage because it breaks very eaily when rubbed against a sharp rock. That is the main reason why people use a top shot with braid when fishing for bass.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2009 02:55PM

"Pound Test" cannot be directly compared. For instance, "10 lb test" means that the line will break at or above that figure. So a line that will sustain 100 pounds before breaking can be marketed as 10 lb test. This is why one company's 10 lb test can be stronger than another's 10 lb test.

The only fair way to compare lines is with a class rating, or diameter.

Posted by: Brad Kemis (---.fw2.onvoy.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 03:01PM

It would be nice if there was a standard testing procedure and the test results were printed on the box... too much money at stake for that to ever happen.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 19, 2009 03:37PM

The other difference that has just been touched on is there is hardly no stretch with braid. It is harder on both rods and reels. Shock effect with quick hard sets even on your hand, wrist and forearm can be a problem. Or a rod snapping and coming back into your face. This is more of a problem if you are fishing close, say flipping for bass at 15 ft. . Line breakage with whip lash went a reel backlashes and the bait comes to a sudden halt has a greater chance of snapping the line than mono.

But braid it does have its advantages!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 10:59PM

Bill,
If you buy line that is certified for world class fishing records, - whether it is braid or mono - the line is required to break at the manufacturers markings on the spool.
However, if it is general purpose line sold for fishing, the manufacturers will sell the strongest line that will sell well at a given breaking strength. Often this is 2-10 times stronger than markings on the box. True for both braid as well as mono.
Most is dependent on the particular manufacturer.

Take care
Roger

If in doubt - take a spring scale - tie a double loop in the line - hook one end over a post and pull until the line breaks. If you get a scale that saves the maximum deflection point, you can simply pull the scale until the line breaks and the number will be saved on the scale.

Roger

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 11:06PM

It has always amazed me that i can troll with 17# line, get hung up and pull a 24' boat going 1-2mph backwards.
this is an interesting thread, i got answers to several things i have always been curious about.

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.NSW.netspace.net.au)
Date: June 20, 2009 12:10AM

At least the braid brands in Jap have adopted a standard. Breaking strain is out of the door and diameters are in. Search for PE lines and a lot of info will come up. Fishos in Oz are now putting this standard to use. As an example. My hyper certate 400 was easy to fill with braid.....specs on the reel state 300m of PE2.......PE2 is the diameter and in average quality braid it breaks at about 20lb and in better and more expensive 8ply stuff it can break even higher. I picked up a 300m spool of Diawa sensor8 PE2 which breaks at 35lb and the reel took all the line. The rod I put that on I have also rated as PE2 line instead of the traditional 20-30lb. The PE2 designation on the rod shows its designed to cast and manage that line diameter. For strength rating I use a max drag@45 degrees and @90 degrees instead

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 20, 2009 08:50AM

Having a 4# rated mono actually possessing a 12# breaking strength or a 20# braid break at 45# poses no problem for me. I choose my line with a minimum poundage rating that is required for the type of fishing and the diameter/flex that is need for efficient casting for the reel/rod being used. The additional breaking strength is just a bonus.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 12:36PM

The idea is looking at the lines diameter to determine it's strength. You can look at the IGFA rated lines (both spectra and nylon) and get a pretty good handle on what diameter line matches what "pound test". Apply these numbers to the line you buy. I suspect that most of us, myself included, if we were to have lines that were actual breaking strengths, we'd be dis-appointed with them after being use to whats boxed today.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 06:59PM

I guess the only way is to use the scale method to find out the lb test breaking strenght.
Guess like all else nothing written in stone.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2009 07:03PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster