I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Boron Rod Material?
Posted by: Erik Sall (164.144.248.---)
Date: June 19, 2009 11:28AM

I am thinking ahead to my second rod build (only half way through my first) and am wondering about Boron as a blank material for a spinning rod. Browning (now Quantum/Zebco?) sells a "Boron Matrix" spinning rod rod that seems lighter and less stiff than carbon rods with the same MH power/action rating. The only so-called Boron rods/blanks that I have found in the supply houses refer to expensive fly rods. Does anyone know how modern Boron blaksd perform in comparison to carbon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boron Rod Material?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2009 12:37PM

Not well. Boron is not well suited to use in fishing rods on several counts. Nor do most boron rods contain much actual boron. In almost all cases it's going to comprise less then 20% (and that's being gracious) of the total fiber make up of the rod blank.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 01:16PM

I am glad you were wondering and chose to investigate before jumping into the water. When you are half way through your fiftieth rod you will have a much better understanding of how written words aimed at the fishing public impact a custom builder and his work product. Your wording of "lighter" and "less stiff" surely has me wondering - - While you are at it check out titanium and bio fibers to see just how far marketing words will take a fisherman seeking a better rod.

Date: June 19, 2009 01:24PM

Thanks, Tom. That is exactly what I needed to know.

Posted by: Jason Kesckes (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 01:38PM

I prefer punch phrases like BAM! POW! KAPLOOHEY! over bio fibre, boron, Micro

Jason Kesckes. Aint no fish'n like bass fish'n

Date: June 19, 2009 01:38PM

Thank you for your reply, and your point is well taken. I am kind of a sucker for advertizing words and shiny objects (sort of like a fish!), so I am very glad that I asked. And I don't know enough rod science to use words any more descriptive than "lighter" and "stiffer" when comparing rods. I just will stick with carbon and try to follow the clear message from Tom Kirkman to keep total weight down as much as possible. I don't know if I will ever make it to 50 rods. I really wish someone had introduced me to rod building when I was younger. My grandfather carved lures, but he stuck with metal rods and steel trolling line. Thanks again

Posted by: Paul Enston (---.storm.ca)
Date: June 19, 2009 02:36PM

The old Fenwick boron blanks were heavier and of slower action than their graphite blanks in the same line weights, at least in my experience. Don't worry, you will get to 50 rods in a lot less time then you might think. This hobby is definitely an addiction.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 02:55PM

I prefer punch phrases like BAM! POW! KAPLOOHEY! over bio fibre, boron, Micro

Don't forget CARROT.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 19, 2009 06:26PM

Boron is much heavier then glass or graphite but it has a stiffnesss and strength that can be used in fishing rods. As Tom said very little is used in rods and when used it's used strategicly placed along the blank to strengthen. Boron is a very brittle material that is hard to work with, that and weight make it not worth using as a full cloth. Most is used mixed as thread in a cloth of glass or graphite.

Date: June 19, 2009 06:38PM

Thank you, John.

So I presume a rod advertizing a Boron Matrix means just what you say, and I guess that would explain why the diameter seems to be on the low side for the MH rod I saw. I'm wondering if the strategic use of the Boron causes a bit more brittleness, and if that partly explains the fact that the manufacturer only offers a one year warranty compared to the lifetime one gets with high end carbon rods.

Regards

Date: June 19, 2009 09:39PM

The fiber used to make the rod has nothing to do with the action. You can make a fast action blank from hickory and a slow action blank from high modulus graphite. Don't confuse action with speed, they're entirely different.

Boron has a very high modulus but it is a large diameter fiber (comparatively) and is rather expensive. Most often a few fibers are used in conjunction with construction that is mostly carbon fiber otherwise. Some companies have even ground it up and added some "powder" to the resin and then call their rods "Boron." Just like Bio-Fibers, which are for reel and in some rods constitute the main and majority of the fibers used, while in others they just grind up a few and add it to the resin and claim to use bio-fibers in the rod's construction. Thus, they're not saying anything which isn't true, but at the same time aren't being perfectly forthcoming with complete information.

Posted by: Patrick Rutledge (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 20, 2009 07:00AM

Tom,

You said don't confuse action with speed. Action as I understand it is where/how much the rod bends (upper third, two thirds, etc). So would speed be how fast the rod recovers from the bent position? Don't think I've seen this word before and just want to make sure I understand it. Thanks,

Patrick Rutledge

Date: June 20, 2009 08:48AM

Yes, that's it exactly. Speed has to do with the rate of reaction and recovery.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster