I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on Fuji Concept guides for a light suf rod
Posted by: Jaime Choy (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 03:21PM

I am trying to build a light surf rod for casting lures up to 2 oz. It will be a spinning 9' Lamiglass GSB108-1L blank. I have a couple of questions on what type of guides I should use.

Do I really need double footed guides for this rod?

I was hoping to make this as light as possible so I wanted to put on single footed concept guides. But these only went up to size 30 rings. If I could get away with using single footed guides can I mix match double footed with single footed concept guides? Let's say I use a BMNAG 40 and the rest being BYAG's. In other words are the 2 guides compatible with each other?

Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Fuji Concept guides for a light suf rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 03:42PM

checking them out also, I went with 12 double fott on a 10 ft for 3-5 oz. here is some reading if you care to: [rodbuilding.org]
And: [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 18, 2009 04:52PM

Thanks for the response Bill. I see that others have used the single footed one on a surf rod. But I still would like to know if I could mix match the two.

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 05:23PM

Feel free to mix and match. Some of my best performing surf rods have a mix of three different guide types. I use single foot with no problems at all as long as I use a Forhan locking wrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 18, 2009 05:31PM

Just make sure the knots will pass thought the guide rings.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2009 06:59PM

If you are building a spinning rod, I'd use the New Concept System with double footed spinning guides for the butt through transition guides, then single foot fly guides for the choker and running guides.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 08:17PM

Jaime,
I am just now building a similar spinning surf rod and had asked Tom K for some advice, which he kindly gave me. I ended up using Fuji Alconites with a BVSAG #40 butt guide, a BYAG #25, and a BYAG 12, followed by 7 BLAG#10s as choker and ru. I also had considered BYAG #30, as a Butt Guide, BYAG #16 as transition guides, BYAG #10 and BYAG #8 as running guides, but felt that the BYAG series didn't choke the line down enough. As a result I have three different styles of guides and needed very little tweaking when I test casted the rod. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Date: June 18, 2009 09:15PM

Great! Just what I was looking for. Thanks a lot guys!

Date: June 19, 2009 08:23AM

I would allow the line path to dictate the actual guide sizes needed.

Date: June 19, 2009 11:14AM

Thanks Tom. Is there a place where I can find the guide height measurements without having to purchase a whole set of guides?

Date: June 19, 2009 11:23AM

I think Mike Barkley had set something up showing all the heights of popular guides. Do search under his name.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: June 19, 2009 01:16PM

Use of SF guides on surf rods is becoming more popular. I would advise the Forhan lock wrap to solidify the guides in place. This makes it almost impossible to knock one out. I would limit the use of SF guides to only light surf rods though, and move to lower frame casting type guides for the choke and running guide on mid to heavy surf rods.

Posted by: Dave Fontaine (136.244.213.---)
Date: June 19, 2009 02:25PM

How large of a reel are you using and how wide is the spool? You may be able to get by with a 30 or even a 25 catch guide, especially if you are using braid 30# or less. Just because it's a 9' surf rod doesn't mean you need a 40mm catch guide. Match your reel to the rod. I would agree with Tom on double-footed guides for the trans and then go to singles if you wanted to. You could even look into titanium guides to keep the weight down, but save your pennies. Billy Vivona has some titanium guides that are perfect for runners and are very strong and pass knots very well.

Date: June 19, 2009 03:35PM

I am going to be using a small reel for now, but I might want to upgrade later on. It has a 47 mm diameter and I am using braid on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster