I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foam Core grip problem - Help!
Posted by: Brandan Martin (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 10:48AM

I have been building rods with foam core grips for the past several months. I've used different weight foam, different sleeve materials and different finishes to 'test' the results. Last month I build two for a customer in Florida. I got a call this morning that one of the grips has a major problem with it. It was a rod built for a 14 year old boy. The failure was the rear grip has three deep "pock" mark indentations in the grip. I was told it looks like three deep thumb marks into it. This grip was built using 5# foam and a fiberglass sleeve. I put at least two coats of MAS fiberglass resin (similar to west systems) on it as well as several coats of finish epoxy. Like all the other grips I've built, they are hard as a rock when I'm done. The kid that owns the rod told his dad that it happened as the rod was standing in the corner of his room untouched. I am going to replace the grip but am concerned about how this happened. It sounds like he crushed it somehow but I don't want to jump to conclusions since I've only been making the foam grips for 3 months. Does anyone have any idea if this can actually happen from some sort of defect in my building process? I've build so many 'test' grips that are laying around my shop that when I look at them today, I can't see any way that it can happen. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foam Core grip problem - Help!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2009 11:21AM

The RodMaker article recommended the use of 8lb foam.

Even with 5lb foam, those indentations didn't simply occur naturally. And whatever caused them would also have ruined a cork grip in the same manner.

When you get the rod back you should be able to look at the depressions and tell if anything crushed it as the finish will be marred in that area.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 12:12PM

"UMMMM Dad, honest, I didn't do ANYTHING to it. It just happened........."

I think that when you get it in your hands, the truth shall set you free.

Kevin

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 12:45PM

I'll bet he fed his Mogwai after midnight. :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2009 03:01PM

A number of the kids down here (Fl.) use a rod holder(Old Salty) for pier fishing and they will mess up grips if not used correctly-EVA -Cork or foam
John

Date: June 18, 2009 03:22PM

It would be very difficult to mess up a properly made carbon skinned grip in a rod holder. We're talking about something that is pretty darn hard. When we mention the use of urethane foam, we're not talking about something like EVA - this stuff, at least in the 8lb and up density, is rigid.

Date: June 18, 2009 03:50PM

Tom, I've made some out of 5# foam that is hard enough to drive a nail into something. For the life of me, I can't figure out how it could get damaged. A friend of mine who knows the kid that has the rod suggested that it could have been left in a car and exposed to high head under the rear car glass. I don't think the glass could produce enough heat to cause damage.

Date: June 18, 2009 07:00PM

That foam doesn't soften from heat, once cured, it's there.

You'll just have to take a look at it and see what you can discover.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 18, 2009 10:48PM

Dave Orr,

Good answer, and hilarious to boot!!! I almost fell off my chair!! I needed a good chuckle today, but that one produced a deep BELLY LAUGH!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 12:24PM

William
I was wondering if anyone would get it. :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 19, 2009 09:30PM

Yep. the GREMLINS are definately at work!!! LOL

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ben Lee (159.83.196.---)
Date: June 20, 2009 12:14AM

Brandan,

Did you use Vacuum Bagging ?

Reasons to use vacuum:
Better uniformity of lay up (No thick / thin cross sections)
Stronger finished product (Higher glass to resin ratio)
Better Strength to weight ratio

Ben

Date: June 24, 2009 04:17PM

I have not tried vacuum bags. I may give it a try but I don't think it would have helped this situation. I'm expecting to see some sort of abuse when I get the rod back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster