I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snake Guide Recommendation for Fast-Actioned 6 Weight
Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.nccr.epa.gov)
Date: June 18, 2009 10:17AM

Greetings. I have a fast-actioned 6 weight blank I want to build on. It came with single foot guides but I have decided that I would like to snake guides. Can anyone recommend some numbers and sizes? For example can I go with size 1 or 2 snakes towards the tip? I did search the forum but most of the discussion revolved around single foot guides. I am mainly interested in what is the smallest sized snake guide that I can use torwards the tip. This rod will be primarily be used for trout fishing in bigger rivers. It will get its first use on a some float trips in Montana this summer. Right now I use a loop-to-loop connection with my fly line and leader. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake Guide Recommendation for Fast-Actioned 6 Weight
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2009 11:23AM

You only need 3 guides sizes. Perhaps a size 12 stripping guide, an 8 intermediate and then all size 2 or size 1 snakes. Most likely you can use size 1 snakes, but you'll want to tape them up and try casting the rig with your current line and leader just to make sure everything passes smoothly.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 02:27PM

Tom C, why snakes ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.210.114.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 05:45PM

(3) #2 Recoil titanium
(2) #3 H&H chrome
(2) #4 H&H chrome
#10 double foot alox
#12 double foot alox
If you need spacing I'll need the blank tip dia, butt dia, no pieces, and material.

The reason for snakes is reduced weight, longer distance, better accuracy with less fatigue.

Good fishing

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 07:06PM

Tom K's set up will get you a straighter line path and reduced weight. He is correct, you only need two or three sizes at the very most. Your line will easily pass through #1 snakes. A good loop to loop will too.

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 10:51PM

Bill - I wanted to go with snakes for more durability. I have some rods with single foot wires but i did not really notice a real difference with them casting-wise.
Eugene, why the switch from the recoils to H&H? and what is an "alox"?. My thanks to everyone for the advice. I am leaning to going with the three guide-size approach. I am going to buy a bunch of snakes guides and experiment. Thanks. Tom

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.90.168.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 02:16PM

The titanium Recoils are expensive so I place them where they get the most bang for the buck.
The Recoils being the lightest are placed on the tip where the velocity is the greatest and the effects of mass are the most noticable. The further away from the tip the lower the velocity and mass effects, so I change to hard chrome steel. Alox is slang for aluminum oxide which is a common insert material. The reason for the size changes is that material flows more readily through a funnel then a pipe. The two alox guides keep the fly line away from the blank until after the ferrule in the event you are stripping streamers onto the ground or deck when shooting the line back out the grit your line picked up won't slap the blank or the ferrule wraps as easily. Most expensive rods used to be made that way and I prefer to think some old rules should be kept.
My preference is to direct the line, rather than attempt control, with large diameter guides which decrease in size and weight as they approach the tip. If the line is going the correct direction don't touch it but if it starts to deviate suggest rather than dictate a more appropriate direction. The smallest I go on a 6 weight is a #2 guide. Smaller guides are better on line weights of 3 or less.
Double foots are still my favorite except for the extra wrap. They are durable and don't easily catch onto objects like the hole on a single foot is prone to.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2009 09:43PM

Guides are neither funnels nor pipe - they are some distance from each other and the smoother line flow and straighter line path is actually accomplished with fewer guide size changes. We've done articles accompanies by the photos and illustrations proving this. The reason so many sizes are often used is only because the manufacturers offer them - not because their is any advantage to doing so. You never need more than 3 sizes on any rod and quite often, just 2 will do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster