I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Straight diamond wrap
Posted by: Tom Carter (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 04:19PM

Hi guys. New here. I am trying to do my first diamond wrap and had a few questions. I have spent maybe 10 hours tring to do one. I can do the wrap, but I can never get the diamonds to line up straight. When I start, they are straight, about 1/3 of the way in, they start to turn. I was wondering if it was because of different thread tensions pulling the thread, or could it be I am not using enough tension? I have tried all sorts of different ways. but I keep getting the same result. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I dont have a mentor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Straight diamond wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2009 04:34PM

It's important to get them straight at the outset. The first few threads determine how straight the finished wrap is going to be. I'd bet anything, that your centers are already off by the time you've put down a couple threads.

Try this - after you make your initial lay out and have put down just a few threads, use a straightedge to make sure the centers on both sides of the rod are perfectly straight. With just a few threads, it's a simple matter to move or shift the entire center a tad to get everything lined up. Once you've started straight, things should stay pretty straight.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 04:53PM

When I started I noticed I was packing the threads on only one side. Which kept pushing the threads in that directing - only. Then I go to pack from the right and always made sure I would also pack to the left. You can also grab the wrap and actually turn it if it gets twisted.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 05:00PM

When you get the first few threads down and correctly aligned anchor the cross points with CP!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 06:05PM

Especially early in the wrap it's easy to push the centers out of whack when you are packing.
Like Bill said, you need to pack in all 4 directions. Check often for straightness if you pack
often & early. Like Tom said, once you have enough thread down the centers shouldn't move
vary easily. I've found that even after I have quite a bit of thread down I can still move the centers
if I have to to straighten things back up should it go array.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Joe Vreeland (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 06:32PM

What I do, besides starting off straight ,is to use the line from the light reflection when alining threads.

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.104.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 05:18AM

I agree with the packing, last expo I went to see Mark Crouse's demonstration and he said it from the very begining, do NOT start packing any threads until you have at least 4 or 5 threads down, if you start packing immediatly you will move your layout thread. I have been doing it this way since and now all my wraps stay straight.
Rob

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 07:39PM

Most times when I do Diamond wraps I use several strands of threads at once, not one at a time.
If I want a wrap that has (5) strands of red in the center I'll put those down first and as the others say get it lined up straight (usually with the guides).
Then I'll wrap the next color, maybe (2) strands of silver on each side of the red, then maybe (4) strands of black on each side and so on.
I won't pack them until I get at least the second on third color on, otherwise you can push it out of alignment. .
When you pack push equally from both sides of the threads so as not to move things.

Posted by: Tom Carter (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 19, 2009 01:39PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Using what You told me, I was able to complete a full chevron wrap last night. Came out great, I just wish it was on a rod and not on a piece of dowel. :( The learning experience was well worth the 5 hours doing it. Tonight I will try to do a diamond again. Now if I can only learn the black widow wrap I will be set!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster