I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

the term "building on an axis"
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 10:54AM

Am I correct that the term "building on an axis" means that is the line or side along which the guides are placed and wrapped?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the term "building on an axis"
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:25AM

Building "on the axis" refers to building to the straightest axis of the blank instead of to the "spine". Most blanks have a slight curve to them. I usually build with the "belly" of the curve down and the butt and tip up. The guide weight tends to straighten the blank.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: June 17, 2009 11:38AM

Mike
This is were I get confused. Lets say it is a fly or spin rod. I find the straightest horizontal line and the tip points up. So the guides would be placed on the opposite side of the tip pointing up or another way to say the side that the belly is on.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:53AM

"On the axis" and "Straightest axis" are not exactly the same thing. If you build on the straightest axis you are indeed building on an axis, but not necessarily vice versa. These terms aren't used perfectly in rod building but generally when you hear somebody talk about "axis" in respect to fishing rods they're breaking down each point of degree of the blank's circumference. Thus you hear someone talk about putting a guide on the "0 axis" or on the "180 degree axis." They are talking about the straight line (butt to tip) which they use as a reference point for setting up the rod.

Generally the "0 degree axis" is the axis on dead center top when the rod is held in the normal fishing position. That may be the straightest axis, or not, depending on how the builder has oriented the rod blank.

Date: June 17, 2009 11:57AM

I am referring to the "build on the axis" as it relates to the way it is used in Rodmaker and on the Guide CD page 20.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 12:01PM by John Kepka.

Date: June 17, 2009 01:00PM

Build on which axis? The way the term is used there are 360 of them on a rod blank.

I think you may be referring to building on the straightest axis, which is what that particular article concerns.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 03:45PM

Yes I was sloppy. I meant "building on the straightest axis." I hate to be really dense and hard like ironwood but once the rod is in the "natural concave position" with the butt and tip high and the belly low do the guides get mounted on the concave or convex side?? When I finally get this we need a celebration.

Date: June 17, 2009 03:58PM

With the blank in that particular orientation, the rod is in the normal fishing position. So on casting rods the guides are on top while spinning and fly rods have the guides on the bottom.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 04:24PM

Mike B said it the best.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 06:23PM

Which side to place the guides on the spine is a debatable point, some do it the way Mike said others do the opposite as Tom said. When I teach I teach that on spinning and fly rods the guides go on the bottom and casting go on the top spine. Alot can be left to interpratation and builder preference. I think its a point that could be debated forever.

Date: June 17, 2009 06:36PM

We aren't talking about the spine here - in fact if you use the straightest axis, the spine is not a consideration.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 06:24AM

Tom and Mike are saying the same thing assuming thay Mike is talking aboue baitcasting nd not spinning or fly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster