I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shop Fox W1705 Lathe - 45 lbs - any one know about?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 15, 2009 03:31PM

A number of weeks back, I was asking advice for a portable transportable drill based lathe so that I can easily carry it. The normal mini lathe approaching 100 lbs is just too heavy.

I'm not very content with the drill solution. So I'm looking for a light weight but true lathe. This is ONLY for shaping cork so horsepower is really quite irrelevant - as long as it spins smoothly and everything aligns, it should work.

Wondering if anyone know anything about this 45 lbs unit. 45 lbs is definitely a lot more transportable than 100 lbs.

[www.woodstockint.com]

By the way, any other sub 50 lbs suggestion welcome too.

Thanks,
Mo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 03:55PM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shop Fox W1705 Lathe - 45 lbs - any one know about?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2009 03:59PM

The problem with very lightweight lathes is that they won't operate as smoothly nor seem to allow for as effortless cutting and shaping as heavier models do.

What you might want to look into, is some sort of portable lathe bench, such as the various ones we've outlined in RodMaker over the years. I currently have a OneWay Lathe and bench that combined weigh about 400 lbs, but with the "wheelbarrow" type system I devised for it, there is really no problem in rolling it outside or anywhere else I might want.

Now if you have to hand carry your lathe or move it up or down stairs, I can see where this won't be an option for you.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 04:06PM

How long of a grip are you going to turn?. The working distance between centers diminishes quickly depending on your chuck and live center. Also the hole in the head stock is quite small compared to a 2 mt lathe so you are limited there if you want the mandrel to go through the headstock. Look at turncrafter plus from PSI as being similar. I got a Wilton from Amazon a couple of years ago very similar on sale and free shipping.

Date: June 15, 2009 04:47PM

Thanks Tom and John,

Tom, by portable I really mean portable. I'll be hauling it in and out of my car...:) That's why a 45 lbs weight is so attractive. Asot being effortless, I figure this is just for fast cork shaping so that should be no problem.

John, no longer than 8" grip. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mo

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 15, 2009 05:00PM

Build or buy the Flex Coat one. Put it on a base and make it adjustable. I built mine similar to it and for shaping cork it works - just fine - I can do any thing with it. Very light and can be carried any ware.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 07:01PM

Mo,
Most of the mini lathes that are in the 100-200 range will meet your weight requirement and still do a good job.
Check out the lathes that are sold by Penn State Industries, They represent a good value, and a couple of them come with bed extensions, if you want to turn longer handles.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 09:48PM

Mo
I think the small penturning 1MT type lathes will get you an 8 in grip. You need to keep the tailstock small and a small chuck on the headstock. With a little finagling you can easily turn seats as well.

Date: June 16, 2009 01:49AM

Where would I get the 'smallest' chuck? (Cheap too presumably for a little rig like this.)

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2009 10:18AM

Mo
I looked at the little Wilton I got--model 99177. I think the bed might be a little longer than the turncrafter plus from PSI (Penn state industries pennstateind.com). I would start by looking at PSI and see if the chucks they have would suit your purpose. You want a good holding chuck IMO. If you like to be creative you could use a long 1 MT pen making mandrel close to 1/4 inch and use bushings to hold a larger dia grip. But if you are going to ream anyway the pen mandrel would work. BTW check amazon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 12:09PM by John Kepka.

Posted by: Justin Hoffer (206.196.241.---)
Date: June 16, 2009 03:21PM

Posted by: Joe Hall (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 16, 2009 06:09PM

found the following

Grizzly
MODEL G9247 VS MINI WOOD LATHE
Product Dimensions:
Weight....................... 40 lbs.
$149.95

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster