I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing bonus article
Posted by: Mark Clooten (89.105.196.---)
Date: June 15, 2009 09:55AM

The guide spacing CD has tons of great info on all rod types for guide spacing. But just as I was getting everything finished up I read the enclosed bonus article from Rich Forhan and started to wonder if any of this is necessary? I do not think Rich's way will give better casting distance or performance but he makes a solid point about how most freshwater bass rods do not need to be cast a hundred feet. Almost any spacing and selection will get you a rod that will cast fifty. How much effort really needs to be spent on getting your casts out to a hundred feet when you target fish that are thirty to forty feet away?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing bonus article
Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 10:16AM

Another point to consider. When searching for bass one usually wishes to cover as much water as efficiently as possible. Best way to do this is to make as long a cast as is practical with a fast moving search bait. Longer casts keeps the bait in the water longer than short casts do and one will cover a lot more water at the end of the day.

There is also the issue of spooking the fish which at times necessitates longer casts. A hundred and fifty foot cast is desired under these circumstances and sometimes others.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 15, 2009 12:14PM

To add to that, being able to reach schooling fish busting bait is not only a good tactic but a necessity on many lakes. A long cast gets there faster than a trolling motor or running back to crank the big motor. This also plays into to spooking fish.

I set rods up to cast as far as possible while balancing other needs (presentation ability, fish fighting, etc). I can always cast shorter.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 12:40PM

I was out for a few hours this morning. The water here now is gin clear. If I got within 30' of the pencil reeds I could see bass scooting out of there. I was casting a swim jig 30 or 40 yards easy on 15# flouro. Biggest bass (18.5") hit the second the jig hit the water about 30 yards from me.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: June 15, 2009 02:08PM

Like anything else ........ Long casts are only valued when you need them ............. too bad if you need them and you didn't build for them ........

Last year I was just out of casting range on 2 schools .......... 1 was a school of Spanish and 1 Striper ........... they would sound as soon as you did get close enough to reach them ......... I would have killed for the rod Bill Stevens let me cast at the Expo ..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 02:10PM by Richard Hahn.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 03:24PM

Bobby F. does not have an entry permit for the State of Louisiana. He can stay on his Tejas side of the line and chunk the DD22 far enough to Crank Er Down and hijack Louisiana Hawgs! Rich was probably talking specific technique requirements - he will throw a large swim bait as far as he can and smile. Be careful when you literally intrepret the written word. Be prepared to Do What You Gotta Do!

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: June 15, 2009 03:53PM

I like to set up for long casts that way shorter casts take less effort. I find as I become more "experienced" less effort is better!

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.2.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 10:02PM

Like the Boy Scouts say, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. You can always shorten the cast but a spooky school of fish will make you throw your shoulder out for a few more feet.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (67.161.178.---)
Date: June 16, 2009 08:20PM

I agree with Bill S. plus I agree with Fuji's own tests of their NGC (which I use in a round about way). Read their test data closely and see what you come up with. I also agree with those that liked Bill's test rod at the show. Is Bill a Cajun - cagey or both? I was impressed with the rod/guide set up - but the rest of the story was the reel he used and how it was set up and the line/lure he used. He must be a lawyer as he knew the answer to the question " how do you think this combo will cast?" - before you made any casts in the parking lot.

For those that have a particular blank they like for a technique specific presentation - and are looking for more distance - any modern guide set up will cast well - usually within 3% of each other. First change to a better reel (set up for distance) and use a high tech oil on it. If that doesn't give you the distance you want - change the line to a longer casting type and use a line spray if appropriate. Still not enough? Change the lure weight and/or type of lure for the technique.

Posted by: Jerry Weir (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 16, 2009 11:07PM

The rest of the story - interesting observations! Considering all of the factors - guides, reel, oil, line, weight and type of lure - I wonder which offers the best payback for casting distance and efficiency for the money?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2009 09:20AM

If you were to place a guide at every 5 inch interval along your rod, you'd find that it casts okay. Your distance would likely be more than enough for what is required in many types of fishing and you'd certainly have adequate stress distribution for the rod blank.

Beyond that point, additional time and effort tweaking your guides will increase your casting distance and overall rod performance. But you will reach a point of diminishing returns somewhere along the line where you spend hours to gain mere inches.

I included Rich's article because it offered a slightly different perspective on guide placement and requirements. It presents a somewhat alternative view to the various guide placement systems that often confuse and perplex many new rod builders. It's on the CD to give people something to think about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster