I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Silk and Permagloss
Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2009 10:11PM

Does silk turn transparent when coated with Permagloss the way it does when you coat it with epoxy? Or is this transparency specific to just the combination of silk and epoxy? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silk and Permagloss
Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.154.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: June 14, 2009 10:45PM

silk and varnish wind up transparent,too, but for some reason there is more of a chance of getting microbubbles, or "shimmers" with varnish than with thinned epoxy. In another thread someone mentioned having white silk thread stay white with Permagloss on it, so I suspect it's like Varathane 900 and acts as a color preserver of sorts.
john

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 07:21AM

It's specific to the permagloss and silk. Permagloss gives all threads a "half" transparent look compared to what epoxy does to the threads. It's a neat way to get more color options.

Think of it this way. If un-treated thread turns 2 shades darker and transparent when it's coated with epoxy, then un-treated thread (silk included) turns just one shade darker and becomes semi-transparent when coated with permagloss.

I'm not sure exactly how it all works out with white silk, as I've never tried that.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 08:04AM

A very, very simple method to answer every single one of these types of questions is to order teh stuff and do a test and see for yourself. I've got dozens of sticks of samples with all sorts of combinations with every type of thread I use. It doesn't take any time, and you see the result for yourself so you don't have to guess exactly what they will look like.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 15, 2009 04:22PM

Billy,
That isn't much help to the hobby builder or others that don't have the desire, time or budget to try every possible combination that might interest them. That's why they ask questions on here and hope to get useful answers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster