I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glueing a spinning reel to the handle?
Posted by: Billy Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2009 07:57PM

Looking at my ultra light spinning rod project and thinking of just using Rod Bond to mount the reel to the cork. I would first cut a bit of a inlay into the cork. I would think 1/16th of a inch would be about right. Its not a rugged rod and I wondered if anyone else out there has just glued a spinning reel onto the cork handle. I love the feel of cork and sometimes the tape/rings of a normal handle get slippery when wet.

I went fishing the other day and was catching lots of panfish on a 1/24th ounce roostertail. The only real issue was the tape of the handle kinda got slick from the fish. The cork part just felt great. Made me think.........

A thunderstorm ran us off the creek but not before dumping a bunch of rain in the boat. Their was some mud in the boat and it turned to very muddy water and was pretty deep. My Shimano Stradic MG 1000 got dunked in the muddy water. Felt like a coffee grinder. I took it all apart and it was full of muddy water. Even rinsed all the parts in the sink but there is still some hissing "noise" from the grit in the reel. I'm going to take it apart again but not sure it will ever be the same.......bummer. Billy Russell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glueing a spinning reel to the handle?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2009 08:19PM

Billy,
With respect to your reel:
To repair - do the following.
1. Disassemble the reel.
2. Take every single part out of the reel.
3. Soak everything in soap and water.
4. Use a tooth brush and tooth paste to clean every part of the reel.
5. If you have ball bearings, use a tooth brush and clean the bearing, using mineral spirits to clean out the bearing. If you have access to compressed air, use the air to help clean the bearings as well.
After cleaning each ball bearing, spin each ball bearing to be sure that there is no catch or hissing coming from the bearing. If all is well, you can use a couple of drops of reel oil to lubricate the bearing.
If you can not get the bearing clean , and or if you still hear any noise at all from the bearing = replace the bearing, before reassembling the reel.
6. Reassemble the reel, using a drop or two of oil on each of the sliding parts and bearings. Use a bit of reel grease on any gears.
You should be good to go.

Note: if you used tooth paste to clean up the reel, be sure to use the tooth paste and a lot of water to be sure that you have everything absolutely clean before reassembling the reel.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2009 09:28PM

Instead of using adhesive to attach your reel wrap it on like a guide with thread.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.2.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 14, 2009 09:58PM

Roger has laid out a pretty easy to follow cleaning instructions. Or send it to Shimano and let them clean it to their standards.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 08:16AM

Just think how much trouble it will be to service the reel after it is glued to the rod.

Reels are so complex now that I don't attempt a complete servicing any more. BPS has a service operation, probably Shimano as mentioned,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 09:08AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: June 15, 2009 11:28AM

I agree with Mike, I clean my reels annually and I cant imagine trying to clean it when it is glued to the handle. Also think tying it on with thread as you would a guide is also a good idea, that way you would only need to re tie after cleaning.

Vern

Posted by: Dan Mullin Jr. (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:33PM

For my ice rods I like to use Self Amalgamating Electrical Tape to attach my reels. It's rubbery and doesn't get too slippery. I do like the tying it on idea though!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 10:57AM

Wrapping it on is a good idea - but will the reel fit on my wrapper ??
Only kidding.

Home Depot has very thin nylon twine that comes in colors, used in construction, might work well.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2009 11:02AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster