I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Son and I Struck by Lightning
Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.hsd1.mo.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 05:34PM

Guys I will post more about the incident later. I am very tired, but thankful to be alive and very thankful my son is going to be ok. I thought some of you may see the news story and wonder "do we know him?". This is the link to the news story.

[www.kmbc.com]

So much for the Gloomis IMX MB843 (I think that's what it was I can't remember at this point)

Hope to talk more later.

Gabe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Son and I Struck by Lightning
Posted by: Justin Hoffer (206.196.241.---)
Date: June 12, 2009 05:59PM

Glad to hear you guys are OK Gabe! What an experience that must have been. It's nice to know someone is watching over us.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: June 12, 2009 06:55PM

I am very glad for you and your son, somebody was watching over you...

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 07:59PM

WOW!

You guys had an angel there fishing with ya. Glad all is well.

DR

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 08:28PM

Glad to know you guys survived. I have been caught in storms myself and I have just laid the rods down and got away from them.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 09:41PM

Wow! So glad you guys are alright.

Thus the birth of Thunderbolt Custom Rods!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 10:08PM by kevin knox.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 10:07PM

happy and thankful to know you are both alive and improving! best wishes to you and yours. remembering you all in prayer for complete recovery.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 11:18PM

I am so glad you guys lived through it! Life is so short and precious. A good reminder to be very careful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 11:10PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 08:33AM

Did the rods start vibrating and humming before the strike? I know that's happeened to me a few times and I knew something wasn't right. Scary

Hopefully you guys are OK...becasue I'd really like to ask a few chop busting questions but dont' want to do so in bad taste. I'm glad you guys survived that.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 10:40AM

So fortunate.
A couple of years ago, a fellow and a friend were out night fishing on Mille Lacs in central mn. the owner of the boat was a new boat owner who was somewhat inexperienced on the water.

The boat owner had wanted to do some night fishing with his friend, although he had not done a lot of it.

As they were out in the middle of a mid lake flat, anchored up for some good bobber fishing, a thunder storm blew up out of the southwest. The friend wanted to go in, but the owner of the boat thought it would be all right to stay where they were.

Suddenly without warning, a bold of lightning hit the boat owner in the middle of his back, instantly killing him. As the bolt of lighting continued to the water, it ignited the fuel tank setting the boat on fire.

Although burned from the lightning bolt, the friend, who was wearing a life jacket jumped out of the front of the boat - 7 miles out in the center of the lake.

The boat continued to burn to the water line. However, due to the fire, other boats came out to search for survivors. Fortunately the friend survived with no long lasting effects.

If you see the storm coming, get off the water, before it gets to you.

Stay safe.

Roger

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 01:05PM

Good to hear you guys had a good outcome.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 04:00PM

Regarding rods humming-when the charge is building they do hum. My son and I had a close one and it was not yet even close to stormy. First indication of trouble was the line going into the water almost vertically instead of sagging into the water. When I raised my rod it hummed. We took off immediately and nothing happened. But it appears to me that the humming and the line not entering the water normally are warnings of impending lightning.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2009 10:19PM

First off, glad you guys are ok

Regarding rod humming in the presence of extreme static electricity (lightnight) they DEFINITELY hum. I come into port all summer long in the middle of some NASTY thunderstorms, as soon as we see the storm building, the rods up in the T top come down, and generally will be laying on the deck taking a beating. Lightning is one of those things I just dont mess with.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 11:19PM

I had two close calls. Many years ago my son and I were out in a "calm before the storm" period. There was no storm right over us, but a very weird feeling in the air, and then after a cast our line would hover over the water about three feet high. We zoomed to the access and then it started storming.

Another time I was with a buddy and we were deep jigging whitefish just for kicks. I got bit off by a northern. As I retied I was getting a buzz at each guide as I threaded the line through. We left in a hurry.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.102.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 11:28PM

My son and I were fishing on Logan Martin today, and a nasty thunderstorrm blew up. I just heard on the radio yesterday about you getting hit with lightning (but didn't know it was anyone here), so we zoomed back to the ramp. Ended up sitting in the truck for about 90 minutes, till the lightning stopped. Better that than getting struck!

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 11:51AM

What people everywhere fail to realize lightning often strikes up to 12 miles distant from the point of origin. The storms leading edge does NOT have to be on top of you. Its this lack of knowledge that hurts and kills many hikers here in the Rockies climbing the 14'ers. I am happy that Gabe and his son lived to tell the story. As noted, many don't. Better safe than sorry. I learned of this after fishing some local lakes on the Arsenal Wildlife Refuge here in Denver. My rod started ticking and right away I knew what was happening. I was walking back to my truck to head for home when it occured. I dropped my 2 graphite rods and continued to put distance between myself and them. Storms can pass but its just not worth it.
Chuck

Posted by: Colin Kearns (208.14.239.---)
Date: February 25, 2010 04:40PM

Hi Gabe,

I work for Field & Stream magazine. I'd love to talk to you for a story in the magazine. If you're interested, please email me at colin.kearns@bonniercorp.com. Glad to hear you're doing alright.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster