I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide for spinning rod with micros
Posted by: Joe Doyle (167.3.56.---)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:09PM

I'm going to build a blank that I have in the closet. The blank is a no-name blank, and one of a few that i picked up at a garage sale years ago. The blank is 6'6", size 4 tip, and .400 butt.

I plan on using size three micros, and spinning reel in about the 2500 size. That being said, what do you all suggest for my stripping guide size? Should I go tip-top, size 3 micros, and stripper, or add another guide between the size 3 micros and the stripper that will be bigger than the micros yet smaller than the stripper?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide for spinning rod with micros
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:19PM

You may get many answers that suggest a specific size.

It may be best if you decide for yourself what guide to select -

Background information for a very complex subject -

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:23PM

I would not drop down that quickly. This is something you really need to try by test casting. I cannot imagine anyone just using guides based on sizes given on a rod building forum, including this one.

With mono I would start with a butt guide that is about 1/2 the diameter of your reel spool diameter, or larger. For braid only, I would use a butt guide that is 1/2 the diameter or less than that of your reel spool diameter. 1/2 the diameter will work well for either.

I would have at least one guide between the butt guide and the choker but am assuming you are using the NGC and would set things up on the straight line path. Whatever you do, please take fifteen or twenty minutes to go outside and cast a couple of combinations. Then you'll KNOW for certain which way you should go.

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:30PM

Mr. Colby has given you wise advice!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 11:08AM

Joe,
For the least friction, and the best overall results, I generally go with a stripper guide such that the line will follow the full contour of the guide as the line is retrieved.
i.e. I insure that the guide is large enough and or tall enough for the reel being used, such that as the line is retrieved under light tension, that the line follows the full contour of the first guide.

If the first guide is too small or too low, you will find that as the line is retrieved around the diameter of the spinning reel, the line just rubs against one side or one third of the guide.

I follow the same adage for the 2nd guide as well.

If you forget for a moment about the cast, and just concentrate on the retrieve that when the retrieve has been optimized, that you will also have maximized the cast as well.

I find that this approach is particularly relevant when throwing heavier baits - for example 1/2 - 2 oz baits. It is also relevant when using heavier line.

If you are throwing light baits and or light line - the size of these guides is much less important and will have much less effect on retrieve as well as casting efforts.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster