I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trolling rod guide choice
Posted by: Phil Perez (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 11:11AM

I'm building a saltwater trolling rod. I've always wondered what the reasoning was for choosing to wrap all roller guides or just have a roller stripper and tip with turbo guides between. I
understand it's a possibility that if braid line is used it could flatten over time on regular guides. Is this all just preference? The rod is a stand up style.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trolling rod guide choice
Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 11:24AM

The reasoning is

1) it looks like a higher class rod
2) the stripper/tip with turbos in the middle were something I believe the production companies came up with to cut costs and not have to use all rollers
3) the roller guides will improve line wear no matter braid or mono.

I actually recommend the turbo style guides over rollers in most cases due to the diameter of the braid and possibility of it jumping if any slack is given and getting caught between the roller and the frame. That = lost fish. With ringed guides, that possibility no longer exists and your fish fight is safe(r).

That said, if I'm using ringed guides on a stand up style rod, its Nanolite or SiC and nothing less as most of my standups are for tuna and the heat buildup a lesser guide can accumulate during an explosive run can be detrimental to mono, and I'm honestly not sure on the braid, but I've watched mono melt and split at a hot guide (std alum oxide).

Date: June 11, 2009 11:35AM

Thanks Sean. Any MFG recommendations for the guides? Mostly, all my trolling or stand up rods are also for tuna.

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 11:44AM

hard to beat aftco bigfoot rollers. years of proven durability. i will admit the stuart guides look pretty cool, but i have no clue as to their reliability.

that being said i do not have one trolling rod on our boat with anything but roller guides. my belief is that i'd rather be over prepared than under prepared. that's why we pull big 80w reels even if we are not billfishing. never know when that big one is going to strike.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 12:06PM

I have a differing view than Lance. I like the fight more, and generally use nothing over the 50# class.

Your size of fish will really determine which way to go. 100# class and under go with the ringed guides by any of the known manufacturers.

If you want rollers generally use Aftco for rollers and the HDs are more than enough for my personal needs.

Date: June 11, 2009 01:37PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments. I'm in San Diego, so most of my tuna fishing is in Baja. The tuna are average of 40-60 pounds. I do go farther south into Mexico so the chances of bigger fish do exists. I just want to be prepared for the reel I may use on the rod whether it have just mono or backed up with braid.

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: June 12, 2009 01:13PM

Phil:

Your best bet is all rollers for a trolling rod. It will handle braid and mono equally. And will not wear the line down nearly as fast as a ringed guide (remember the adage: "the wheel is better than the sled"). Little is saved by doing a hybrid system, with a roller and tip, with ring guides in the middle, a concept which started to come in in the mid 1970's.

One point of interest is that when trolling the line is actually see sawing against the guide at all times as it stretches and contracts, creating wear on both the line and the guide. Full rollers address this issue .

That said, there have been many tons of fish caught over the years off the SoCal boats on straight (chromed) ringed rods well before rollers became commonplace, but why bother with that when you can be so better off with the rollers.....

Now, there is an exception to all this: If you are panga fishing in Baja instead of going off a long range boat, lotsa folks use just ringed guiides because of durability and their big rod will also be used to bottom fish.

Oh and if you do go with the rollers, the "HD" are the SoCal Standard, not anything larger. They will handle up to 200 lb spectra and any loop to loop connections with ease for those toads off the lower banks.

Whit

Date: June 12, 2009 04:30PM

Whit,
Now were talking! I didn't mention the style of fishing except for trolling, but you hit the nail on the head with the Panga fishing! I do have three other trolling rods with all roller guides that's why I was undecided. I will be going south to Loreto and East Cape and you really don't need the rollers in the Panga's for bait fishing. The choice, besides the rollers, were the Fuji "HB" series new concept turbo guides. They have the silicon nitride ll rings, and I know they handle braid really well. Thanks for the advice.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 10:58AM

Phil,
I have had several clients who had saltwater all ring trolling guides and came to me to change the guides to a roller stripper and roller tip.
The reasoning was that this is where about 90% of the wear occurs. They would have preferred all roller guides but to save cost, they just asked that the butt and tip be changed to rollers.
Very satisfied with the results.

In a new build they will generally request all rollers.

Take care
Roger

Date: June 14, 2009 07:38PM

Thanks Roger, I think I will just wrap the rollers to play it safe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster