I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions for rod for kids
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: June 08, 2009 05:06PM

My two oldest grand kids want to go fishing with me again this summer. They have outgrown the little kid rods and I would like to purchse them something they could use for a few years. They will be 9 and 11 this year and both can use a spinning rod fairly well. We will fish for panfish and whatever is biting so mostly bait or power bait. I tried an Ugly Stick Light at BPS and thought it was too heavy but I am not looking to spend a bunch on these, maybe 30-50 or so. I was thinking maybe a 5'6" in a light power? I will put a Shimano 2000 reel on each with 6 or 8 pound line. Suggestions on power, action length, brand. I thought about building them one too so good blank recommendation will work too!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions for rod for kids
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: June 08, 2009 05:12PM

Nothing better than fishing with the kids!
I just built my son (4yrs) a bluegill rod from a forward tip to a fly rod. Anglers Workshop (sponcer left) has them for WAY cheap. I think with the blank, guides, and handle I have less than 25.00 in it. It is 4.5 ft with a very light rating and a blast with the gills! I put a Zebco 11 on it for him and it is a nice match. I am just finishing my matching one now done for spinning. Hope this helps.

Eric

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 08, 2009 05:53PM

Take a look at the MudHole custom builder blanks. They come in different colors and lengths. I've built several kids rods out of them and they work great. They're inexpensive yet good blanks.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.208.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 06:02PM

Mudhole has some better quality kits at very good prices that should be about perfect for older kids.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.208.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 06:04PM

Sorry Bill typing at same time

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 08, 2009 06:09PM

I would also go for the Mudhole Custom Builders blanks. I have built a bunch of kid's rods on those blanks. And the girls love the Pink or Purple ones.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 06:21PM

Ditto on the Mudhole Custom Builder blanks. I have done three of the 5' 6" lights and one 6' light. Nice blank for the money!

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 08:14PM

Bill-
If possible-involve the kids in the building process. Fishing with them using rods they helped build would make for some memorable moments.

Posted by: Joe Hall (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 08:35PM

BATSON

SPG601 GB 5’0” 1 2-4 lb. 1/16-3/16 oz. 0.365 4.5 Mod UL 0.86 oz.
SPG720 GB 6’0” 1 2-6 lb. 1/16-3/16 oz. 0.460 5.0 Mod XL 1.30 oz.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.183.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 09:04PM

Again, check out Mudhole. I use their custom series quite often for inshore guides and their "kid" sized blanks would probably be a great start.

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 09:32PM

Mudholes CRB's absolutely. Built 3 for my grandkids (ages 3-5-7) They love them, in fact their mother has one and their uncle and his girlfriend have them also- I used the 5'6 blanks 1 to 4lb line rating.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: June 09, 2009 11:51AM

I figured there were enough of us senior builders that could give me some suggestions! Letting them "help" will be good as well as they really like to be involved. Thanks for great ideas!

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2009 07:01PM

If they're not quite ready for a spinning reel you can build the same rod and mount an underspin reel. When they're ready for the spinning reel you just swap out the reels. I've put together a few of these for my younger nephews and they learn the underspin much more easily than the thumb on top spincast type.

Oh... don't decorate the rods with their current cartoon characters and stuff; they won't want to use them once they "grow up".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 07:03PM by James Hicks.

Posted by: Scott Nordlund (209.62.238.---)
Date: June 10, 2009 10:25PM

Following that last thought...Many of the rods I've built with the favorite colors of the kids' current favorite team, etc, instead of the characters themselves. The color choices tend to last longer than the cartoon.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 09:27AM

My wife and I founds some fun fish stickers at wally world. Click on the picture to expand.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: June 11, 2009 01:49PM

One more suggestion for rods for kids: Get them GOOD reels!!!! If you just get cheap plastic reels, they will have all kinds of problems with them casting and retrieving, and it will stifle their enthusiasm and interest. Even though they are kids, they still deserve good quality gear that works!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Jerry Weir (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 11:56PM

I'm going to be building a rod soon for my 5 year old granddaugher, and I've been thinking about what kind of reel I should use. What are some GOOD - but not too expensive reels for kids? I was looking at some underspin reel reviews today, but all of the ones that I saw at Cabelas and BPS seem to have problems.

Date: June 12, 2009 12:40AM

Jerry,

I just bought 2 Diawa Procaster 100's to put on rods I am building for a 7 yo nephew and 4 yo neice. They are very nice reels all metal, yet fairly inexpensive especially when purchased on the popular @#$%& site. They also make them in the underspin models. Another nice underspin model is the Johnson Scorpio, cast real easy and smooth.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Jerry Weir (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2009 09:34AM

Bill,

Thanks. I'll look at those reels you suggessted.

Jerry

Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 10:47PM

Any suggestions on blanks for a 4 year old to go snapper fishing in the panhandle. We are going out on a party boat

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster