I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Underwraps, revisited
Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 12:57AM

Well fellas I hate to drag up an old topic again but I was hoping to get a bit more opinions and thoughts.

My personal decision is to go with underwraps with my current builds using double foot baitcasting guides.

But my question is what affect(s) does a full length underwrap (that is the entire length of the guide) versus an interupted (that is an underwrap under each guide foot) have on the overall performance of the blank?

By performance I mean, does the combination of extra thread and expoxy decrease or increase the overall power or taper of a blank? I realize the extra thread and expoxy will add weight to the overall rod. My concern is that the blanks are already quite powerful and fast tapered (IMO, conservatively rated from the manufacturer) but the extra thread/epoxy may increase the overall power and taper more than I need?

Another concern I have is being able to maintain a level of consistency with the under and overwraps on each guide foot with an interupted underwrap design. It would make sense that the full length underwrap would be easier to keep even as well as allowing a bit more creative le-way with threading/weaving.

I've intentiionally left out some info and scenarios to allow a broader response base.

I appreciate all opinions and ideas!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Underwraps, revisited
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2009 08:30AM

Taper is built in - it is the difference in diameter between the tip and the butt. In general, the taper plays the largest role in determining the action - how the blank is going to flex.

Action does not change with the addition of weight - the rod will flex in the same way as it did before you added any additional weight. However, the speed of reaction and recovery will slow and the power will drop. How much so depends on how much weight you're adding as an overall percentage of the blank's normal weight.

Full length underwraps on a heavy duty offshore rod aren't going to make much difference. On a much lighter casting or spinning rod, they make enough difference that most fishermen can feel and notice the difference.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: June 08, 2009 09:43AM

I think Tom answered your question nicely. Because you said you're using "double foot baitcasting guides" I'm guessing the build you're doing is a fresh water or light salt water rod. So, underwraps are most likely not needed. If you want to add some bling to the wrap, you can do the between the feet false underwrap without affecting the overall feel of most blanks however.

Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 12:37PM

Thanks Tom and Bill for the replies!

What you mentioned Tom makes perfect sense!

Bill, what do you mean by "false underwrap?" A pic for me would be great! I'm a bit fuzzy on this one....

Well here's what I left out: The rods are going to be used for heavy freshwater swimbaits from 4-10oz primarily for largemouth bass but I can see them being used for musky also. The rods will also perform double duty in the saltwater as inshore rods and jigging rods.

I've opted to use double foot guides since the rods will see time on party boats when fishing saltwater.

I appreciate all the insight fellas!

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: June 09, 2009 10:59AM

Will, What I mean by false underwrap is a wrap just between the feet of the guide and not underneath the feet. That saves a little weight while still allowing for some decoration. To make them you need to mark the area between the feet and do the wrap before you wrap the guides on. However, with the other info you've given, I'd say use full underwraps. It won't be a negative factor on a rod like that.

Re: Under wraps, revisited
Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 05:45AM

I guess my first question to the anti under wrap folks is just how much weight do you think that an under wrap of .005 Madeira thread really going to add? I'm thinking Madeira or A thread is all you ought to be using for these smaller rod builds.

If you slop a real thick coat of hi build epoxy on your guides that's going to add weight, when I build little sticks I always use a single thin coat of light build and give just enough cover to give a good finish.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2009 09:13AM

It adds enough that you can actually feel and easily measure the difference in the speed of many rods.

Obviously, using larger thread and heavier applications of finish only make matters worse, but even fine diameter thread and a light finish coat makes a difference you can feel on many lighter rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster