I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bluegill blank suggestions?
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 09:13AM

Have any suggestions for a 6'6" to 7' Bluegill rod? Like something capable of throwing a 1/32oz jig a fair distance. I'd forgotten just how much fun those critters are and I've never built a rod for them.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bluegill blank suggestions?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2009 09:34AM

St Croix SC3 ... 3S66ULF or 3S70ULF.

My favorite bluegill rod is a bit shorter ... a G Loomis SJ720-IMX. I like mine a tad bit beefier AND really fast. The action helps with the little lures, but the additional power is helpful when I snag other species that are larger and more resistant to being eaten.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 09:51AM

You will have a lot of fun with a 7 ft mod action blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 06, 2009 10:35AM

For gills with their sideways fighting and sharp bursts, I prefer a softer rod. My favorite for just such action is an inexpensive 7 ft IM6. This rod serves me well either wading or from my kayak. With the soft action, I often spool quality 2 lb test line if I'm fishing areas without lots of obstructions. The 2 lb and the soft rod helps with casting the smaller lures and baits. Bluegill rods do not have to be the top of the line in order to be pleasurable to fish and effective.

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.64.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 01:12PM

Another suggustion would be to build one from a 7' 2 or 3 wt fly rod blank, I have one made that way and love it. Also have a 6' 6" Shikari ultra lite and that is my most favorite, we are actually going on a river float trip Monday to fish just for blugill/red breast and the like, it is a blast.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (12.213.112.---)
Date: June 06, 2009 06:42PM

Neil you may want to look at the Batson IP840 [www.batsonenterprises.com] it will go down to 1/32oz and I built one and it is a blast to fish.

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: June 07, 2009 08:29AM

I like to use the Batsons SP-721-2 blank which is 6 foot great for bluegill. Also have built one on fly rod blank which is also a nice rod for bluegill and crappie. Maybe try one first see which you like then built one to meet your needs.

Edwin Kime

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: June 07, 2009 10:44AM

Thanks kindly for the suggestions. Appreciate them.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 04:23PM

My last build has become my favorite rod for not only panfish, but other fish that require really small lures. Just caught a 22 " walleye on it with a tiny "beetle spin" type lure. It is built from an American Tackle AMF 763 blank, 3 weight fly blank. It is 7 1/2 feet long, and I think that length is right-it casts Norman Deep Tiny N's like rockets, and lighter stuff quite well also. Check out the grip design on page 4 of the grip photos. I had never done a grip/seat like that before, and it really is comfortable for this very light rod. The rod is designed for a Shimano Sedona 500 size reel, used micros as the running guides. I use 8 # braid for line, no leader, no problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster