I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

S-glass - any good?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.230.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 08:22PM

Have any of you forum members had any experience using S-glass surf blanks? If so, how would you rate this material for heavy surf casting? On paper S-glass looks like an admirable compromise between graphite and E-glass, yet blank rollers seem to ignore it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: S-glass - any good?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 08:31PM

Seeker uses it extensively in their Super Series line up. I'm not going to pretend I know the ins and outs of hte material, as there are several types of S Glass (E Glass and graphite as well), I do not know the specific properties of each type.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2009 09:58PM

It is a higher modulus glass fiber that offers better performance, albeit at just a bit less durability, than E-glass. It does not really compare to similar graphite models, falling a fair bit shy of that kind of stiffness to weight ratio.

Manufacturers have generally not pursued it heavily in the past few years due to the greater demand for either high performance graphite or super durable and inexpensive glass (E-glass). For a time in the 1970's and early 1980's, however, it was quite popular and offered by more than a few rod manufacturers.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 01:26AM

They work great for "8 & bait" and plugging. Strong and forgiving.

For jigging, graphite is the way to go.

Posted by: jason brunner (---.stcroixrods.com)
Date: June 08, 2009 05:34PM

We use a fair amount of S-Glass in some of our blanks. Very durable fibers and are typically lighter than E-Glass if used in a unidirectional prepreg. I don't really see using it in a surf blank as being very efficient from an engineering standpoint. Glass is much lower modulus than carbon and would require a bunch of material to achieve the stiffness you need in a surf blank making for a very heavy rod. We most often use carbon in our surf rods, but do incorporate some glass in certain models that need a more moderate action.........like a popping rod. I would be careful in using a 100% glass surf rod, it might wear the heck of you and won't cast up to the standards of a carbon or carbon/glass composite rod. Just some thoughts you might want to consider.

Take Care,
Jason @ St. Croix

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.192.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 10:50PM

I'm not too good at explaining. I am looking for a blank to chuck live and dead bait and let it sit, not to toss tin or plugs repeatedly. The gentler action of a glass blank would hopefully keep bait and hook together, and glass is more durable than graphite. S-glass is reputedly somewhat lighter and quicker than E-glass. This is the compromise I hope an S-glass blank would provide, and about which I am seeking information.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2009 08:39AM

Phil, Lami has been usign S Glass forever in their surfrods, and TONS of fishermen use them on a nightly basis. IMO, the weight of the finished rod between E and S glass is really splitting hairs. Yes S Glass is lighter, but when you are tossing I dunno, 4, 6, 8oz + bait that minute difference in weight makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Seeker is making blanks designed specifically for what you are looking to do. THey are graphite & S Glass, with that soft feel you are looking for, but with a LOT of backbone. One of the lighter surf blanks they are making is the Baby ulua, a friend bought one from me a month ago and came over last week with teh finished rod - 13.5oz withcord grips. HEre is the review of the rod: [stripersonline.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster