I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kayak for Striper
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 05, 2009 09:46AM

Got a client looking for a decent quality (but modest priced) blank to build into a kayak rod. Rod recipient is upper east coast and fishes for stripers out of kayaks.

The client requesting is buying it as a gift for this kayaker. I don't know much about this (nor does my client), so I'd appreciate any blank suggestions.

I know kayak length is one factor to consider. Just wondered what some of you have used in the past.

Thanks in advance!

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kayak for Striper
Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 12:21PM

I cant help you with the blank weight for stripers, but the kayak guys like a long enough blank to get the line around the front tip of the kayak. Usually 7'-6" is a minimum and 8' is better. They like longer foregrips than rear grips like a float rod.
Marc

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 03:40PM

Hi Alex,

I had recently requested suggestions for the same info for myself, for kayak fishing in new england for stripers. Search and you'll see some of the great suggestions I got. I settled on a 7'6" "big show" castaway blank from swampland AND a 7'6" 12-25 lb lami (item t520-95) from mudhole. The castaway was much cheaper, and by all accounts so far is just as worthy. I've fished both quite a bit so far and both are just terriffic for the task at hand. some of the seasoned kayakers recommend a shorter butt, Ibut 've gone with a split grip the length of my forearm much like any other rod I build; and it suits me just fine. I just dig it in when the time comes. I've tried the shorter butt, and just dont like it. I do have more of a foregrip than usual, as I find this a definite necessity kayak fishing - others dont. Anyway, good luck.

Thanks,

Steve

PS - there's a rodbuilding section on the new england kayak fishing web site that might offer you additional info.

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 04:30PM

If this is a fly rod I'd go with a 8 or 9 wt switch rod 10'-6" blank to help keep the line off of the water on the back cast. Beulah and Batson make them

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 05, 2009 04:56PM

John... Casting rod - but thanks for the option! I'll remember that one!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2009 06:36PM

I would recommend you take a good hard look at the Lamiglas TF90-15.

[www.lamiglas.com]

Either call Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle OR Todd Vivian at Mud Hole. Both gentleman are very familiar with that blank and do carry them as well. They are a PHENOMENAL blank for your purpose ... durable as a tank and priced nicely.

Jim -

Posted by: Dennis Dixon (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2009 09:02PM

I have a lot of experience striper fishing from a kayak. There are many available blanks that would work great. You want something 7'6' to 8'. Personally I like 8' rods better as it helps to clear line around the front of the kayak and makes grabbing a fish a bit easier. You want something rated for 20# line. If fishing artificials you want something rated for around 1-3oz. This is important. I regularly throw jigs in the range of 2-3 ounces, and have found many rods just can't handle them (even though they are rated for them). Whetever blank you pick, make sure it can actually throw a 3 ounce jig. Additionally, make the handle shorter than normal. Long handles make casting difficult out of a sitting position while in a kayak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster