I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where's the wear on a fly rod?
Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2009 10:22AM

Assuming the same guide material throughout, on which guide(s) of a fly rod do you usually see the most wear? Will a spey rod wear at the same points?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where's the wear on a fly rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2009 12:26PM

The tiptop. Not because it handles the most load (it doesn't) but because of 2 main factors: First, the angle of the line at that point is more severe than at any other guide. And secondly, any dirt or debris picked up by the line crosses that point first, where most of it is stripped off and falls back into the water. But the tiptop is the sacrificial link in the guide chain where dirt and debris is concerned.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: June 04, 2009 12:45PM

For a Spey rod I would say it depends on the type of casting you are doing. I would say the Tip Top as well but the stripper guide sees wear when shooting a lot of line like in Scandi and Skagit casting as compared to a traditional long line.

Date: June 04, 2009 12:52PM

During casting there is very little friction between the line and the stripping guide due to very little pressure bringing the 2 parts into contact. Wear on the stripping guide due to casting is not generally much of an issue. At least not nearly as much as it is on the tiptop.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 04, 2009 01:43PM

Excessive wear to any guide on a fly rod should be seen as a good thing.

It means that you are getting almost enough fishing time on the river!

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: June 04, 2009 02:29PM

AMEN brother!!!!!

Date: June 04, 2009 03:43PM

One of the modifications I made for dozens of fly rodders over the years was to replace just the tiptop on their new fly rods from the stainless or hard chrome pear to a ceramic. Even the guys who detested ceramic guides on a fly rod would often request that a ceramic tiptop be used. This cut out the one problem area that many of them had.

Posted by: jason brunner (---.stcroixrods.com)
Date: June 04, 2009 05:28PM

I agree with Tom 100%, the tip top is subject to more wear than any of the other guides.

Jason
St. Croix Rods

Date: June 04, 2009 07:34PM

So why is it that the stripper guides are the only ones that are usually ceramic? Or is it because the strippers are ceramic, they show little wear?

"The tiptop. Not because it handles the most load (it doesn't) but because of 2 main factors: First, the angle of the line at that point is more severe than at any other guide."
To me, it seems like the tip top does handle the most load (during the cast) because of the angle. Isn't the load on the guide equal to the line load times the cosine of the line angle (or something like that)? The more the line bends, the greater the load on the guide.

Date: June 04, 2009 08:03PM

Friction is a function of the pressure pushing the surfaces into contact with other. There is very little pressure pushing the line against the ring surface on a cast. Thus, friction between the line and the guide ring/s is minimal. Even on the tiptop during a cast.

During a fish fight, however, the maximum load will be on the most powerful part of the blank - where the stripper and subsequent guides are located. These carry most of the load and thus makers often use ceramics on these high load areas to reduce wear. But keep in mind that unless you're that 1 in a 1000 fisherman who catches a fish on nearly every cast, few of us spend enough time with a loaded line on those butt-most guides to ever wear them out.

Date: June 04, 2009 09:32PM

Now I am confused. If friction is a function of pressure and there is very little pressure on the tip top on a cast (and therefore very little friction) what is wearing out the tip top?

Date: June 04, 2009 09:51PM

The greater the angle, the greater the angle, the greater the pressure. But make sure you read my entire statement above - there is a 2nd component there that wears the tiptop.

The line picks up minute dirt and debris. Fly lines are particularly bad about this. So in effect, you have a file working against that tiptop guide. The reason the rest of the guides don't get that same wear, is that the tiptop strips off those minute particles at that point. Next time you're out fishing take a look at the amount of water that peels off and drops back into the lake or stream as it passed over the tiptop.

Posted by: Jim Morris (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 05, 2009 06:37AM

I totally agree with Tom about the tip top wearing first and the advantages of changing to a ceramic tip. I use ceramic tips on just about every rod I build for that reason. Interestingly I come from a place where most fly fishers happen to cast from the sandy or muddy shallows of lakes and I've found in such circumstances the second guide most prone to wear is the one just up from the stripper (slightly ahead of the guide down from the tip top). Since a lot of major manufacturers still insist on only using one stripping guide until they hit 6 or 7 weight, that guide on most rods is a chrome steel snake and on well used rods they can get badly grooved by the line being 'shot' full of abrasive material (that's my theory anyway). For that reason I usually use 2 ceramic strippers (except on really short, light stream rods) figuring that by the time the line has got to the third guide it has shed those abrasives and has stopped slapping the guides. It seems to work and I've converted a number of locals to having two ceramic strippers instead of just one, even on 4 and 5 weights. Jim

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 08:14AM

The angle of the line incident to the tip top will change as load increases. You can see this in action when you conduct your stress test. An ounce or two of load may put a slight bend in the very tip of the rod and you'll see a sharp angle at the tip top and very little angle on the rest of the guides; at this point the tip top is carrying most of the load but it's only a few ounces. Add more load to the line and the blank starts to flex deeper into the rod and the angle at the tip top decreases as the next few guides come into play and their angles increase; the increased load is now being distributed mostly along the tip top and the first first few running guides. As you crank up the load the blank flexes deeper and more guides come into play. As the subsequent guides come into play you'll see the line angle at the tip decrease. At some point you'll likely see that the tip of the blank is pointing directly along the line path with very little line angle; at this point your tip top is carrying enough load to "straighten it out" and additional load is being carried by the subsequent guides. The ability of the blank to flex deeper into the rod as load increases is what allows the subsequent guides to take on load that the thin tip section couldn't handle by itself. If your blank is a broomstick then there will be very little flex and the tip top would carry the load over a wide range of stress. A noodle rod will flex quickly and the load gets distributed more quickly.

During your stress test you create a natural flex to the blank by attaching line to the tip and applying load; this allows the blank to flex over varying loads without the load on the temporarily placed guides affecting this flex. The line passing through the guides has just enough weight on it to keep tension on the line so you can see the line angle at the guides and adjust the guide positions to match the natural flex in the blank. This ensures your guide positions will pick up load as closely as possible to the blanks natural ability to carry it.

As Tom stated, the tip top doesn't carry most of the load but it is the first point of contact for any abrasives picked up by the line.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: June 05, 2009 10:40AM

Tom, your right on the money. Good explanation Mr. Hicks.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 02:18PM

I just quickly looked at the black large wire tip top on an 8 wt flyrod which has been heavily fished for over 4 years. Yes the black "plating" has been worn off but other than being shiney looks OK. I really did not look at the BLag running guides carefully but maybe I will give a close look this weekend and post if there is anything unusual.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster