I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima 4
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 10:45AM

Who is currently carrying the Pac Bay Minima 4 fly guides? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima 4
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.carohosting.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 11:48AM

Good luck finding them in stock anywhere. I did manage to get about a half of a dozen in a couple sizes. Interestingly, I sized them opening for opening against a Fuji Ti-SIC which I assume is similar to all such ceramic fly guides in actual ID. A #4 Minima has the same ID line opening as the #6 ceramic. So I will assume that I can use #4 Minimas where I previously had been using #6 ceramics and the line will pass just as well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 11:53AM

that was what Tom was saying in a later post. You can use one or two smaller sizes, less weight.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 12:53PM

After reading Barry Kneller's post from above I realized that many may not know the methods that various manufacturer's use to quantify the sizing of the guides. A a person who has not actually seen all the various guides first hand may assume the the guides are esentially the same size and weight and could be used interchangable within reason. This is not the case due to the fact that different manufacturers use different terminology when measuring sizes for guides.

When i saw the Minima 4 I assumed that these were small fly guide similar to the guides we are calling micros guides. If there is a line of small guides in the Minima 4 series that are in the 3.5 - 4.0 or smaller I sure would like to have some specifics.

From past posts on this board on the subject here is a summary of what is presently known.

1. Fuji guides sizes are measured on the inside diameter of the frame.

2. Amtak and Batson guides are measured on the inside diameter of the ring that fits in the guide frame.

The rings that fit inside the frames vary considerably in thickness, i.e., Alconites are thinner rings than SIC .... ceramic are thinner than aluminumum oxide and so on --- an Alconite ring will have a larger hole than an SIC Ring if mounted in the same size frame.

3. These differences can make a significant change in usage requirements .. the picture links compare same size guides from different manufacturers.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I am hoping Vic Cutters sees this post and make an official statement as to what measurement Pac Bay uses for their guide sizing and marketing terminology.

At present, the actual size of the things we call Micro Guides are certainly not consistant across the board from all manufacturers.

If any representative of the manufacturers can correct or clear up any of the contents of this post I am quite sure a lot of builders would appreciate anything that will clarify the subject matter. I know I would!!

Gon Fishn

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2009 01:06PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2009 01:13PM

These are the actual measurements of the ID opening of the single foot fly type Minima 4 guides that I have:

#10 = 9mm

#8 = 7mm

#7 = 6mm

#6 = 5mm

#5 = 4mm

#4 = 3mm

They appear to be sized by measuring the frame opening, as most ceramics and all non-insert guides are measured. The hardened insert is about .5mm thick thus reduces the actual frame opening by 1mm.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 04:40PM

Just wanted to let everybody know we will be stocking the Minima Fly Guides and "T" frame 2 foot guides in our signature Black frame Gold ring series.
Most should be in stock in about 10 days.
Part # BF3NGxx (size)
We have sample and they seem very well made.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 05:14PM

The ad in RM lists the Minima 4 as having the "double swaged" ring. I wonder if anyone has had any trouble with rings coming out of the single swaged Minima 3 guides?

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 06:11PM

I'm not sure what they mean, It looks like the "4" is relating to color and plating.
I looked at one of each in BT3NG12 & XT4XG12 under a magnifier, they appear to be swedged the same, both look very solid.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 07:07PM

Look on their web site under New for 2009 and they show very distinctly the difference between the 3 and 4 and their is a BIG difference in the way the ring is in the frame [www.fishpacbay.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2009 07:35PM

The 4 is double swaged - the ring is flared up onto the guide frame on both sides. The 2 is single swaged, flared up on one side, straight through on the other.

In theory, the 4 should have a ring that simply cannot come out of the frame. The 3, while difficult, could possibly toss a ring. Maybe. The ones I have here have been prodded and poked and I can't get them out.

The Minima 4 guides are only available in 2 colors - all chrome/stainless or the Ti finish. The Minima 3's come in several color combinations. For the price difference I prefer the 4, but that's just my preference. I'm not that worked up about guide colors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster