I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wire Versus Ceramic Guides for a Dan Craft FT 7 Weight
Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: June 02, 2009 05:26PM

Has anyone built Dan Craft FT blanks with both wire and ceramic and what (if any) difference did you notice?

Dan Craft himself told me that ceramic guides would make any FT blank perform as a blank one line weight lower and that for blanks 7 weight and above, a person should use wire guides. Every opinion on this board that I have read has the opposite opinion.

My application is throwing a lot of line quickly on the Florida flats and I am using a Scientific Angler Redfish line that is effectively 1/2 weight heavier than its rating. However, I am interested in anyone's practical experience with this blank. Did ceramic guides make it slower, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wire Versus Ceramic Guides for a Dan Craft FT 7 Weight
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2009 05:56PM

i have a 8wt ft and i used ceramics. it casts fine and i like the rod

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.86.40.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 08:18PM

I don't like ceramics on any fly rod.
I much prefer the quickness and reduced weight of wire guides.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2009 09:33PM

The ceramics I have used over the last 25 years have not weighed any more than snake guides with double wraps would have.

However - take a hard look at the Pacific Bay Minima 4 fly rod guides. The weight of single foot wire guides, the cost of snakes and the longevity of most ceramics when used with fly lines.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.211.208.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 11:26PM

Why are the weights posted on Mike's wesite for ceramic 3 to 4 times heavier for the same ID as a Recoil single foot wire guide. Is there something else out there and what are the weights and ID's for these guides. If they're lighter at the same ID obviously I should be using them for performance enhancement. I see no facts here. Is your thermometer busted ? Has Pac Bay posted the weights?
Can anyone verify this data ?

Date: June 03, 2009 10:00AM

My thermometer isn't busted nor is this just idle talk. I've weighed them - they weigh about 20% to 25% less than comparable ceramic guides and due to the larger ring opening (no ceramic insert in the frame) you can use a guide that's 1 or 2 sizes smaller and still maintain the same size ring opening. This results in additional weight savings. Yes you should be using them for performance enhancement but unless you stay up to date on the latest offerings you're apt to overlook improvements like this.

I am finishing up a fly rod which utilizes them. At this moment in time, the Fuji ceramics which I've used on all my fly rods over the past 25 years will likely not see the light of day again. Any time I can get the same (or greater) durability, at less weight resulting in better performance, I'm apt to go that route. And, not that it really matters much to me, but these guides cost far less than almost any ceramic guide.

Fly lines, once they pick up debris and dirt, can act as files and can be quite hard on line guides. But from what I've seen so far, the Minima guides will handle this with no problem.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 10:38AM

OK fine. Where can I get them ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 03, 2009 11:31AM

Good question. The ones I have were special ordered. But any Pacific Bay dealer should be able to do this for you.

As they are still fairly new, there are still unanswered questions about them. But their appearance and construction leads me to believe that for some purposes, these could be an exceptional guide.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 12:09PM

Tom: would I be correct in thinking the rings will be better then even SIC ?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 03, 2009 01:16PM

No, not at all. I doubt they're even remotely as hard or smooth as an SIC insert. The practical question in this situation is, are they hard and slick enough to work well and for many seasons on a fly rod. I believe the answer to that question is, yes.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.roch.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 01:45PM

Tom
Have you compared them to the weight of Titanium framed guides ?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 03, 2009 02:24PM

No, but I feel certain they'll still be lighter. It's the ceramic ring that contributes most of the weight in these guides.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.roch.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 02:28PM

Thanks Tom

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster