I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hawaiian Ulua Rod.................HELP
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 02:45AM

Hello to All,

I am looking to build a custom Ulua rod for my closest friend which lives on the Windward side of Oahu. I have never fished for Ulua so only know the basic construction of these rods from what I can find on the internet.

I am looking for rod blank suggestions for a 14+ footer that is ideal for this type of fishing?

How can I get a hold of Jeff Andres from Kona that I here about regarding custom rods/blanks?

What is the best guides for these rods that can sustain the abuse that Ulua fishermen put on their rods?

Where can I get this "stainless steel sleeve" that you're suppose to put on the rear butt of the rod to protect it from the lava rock?

Does anybody know where I can get the old Batson SS butt ends?

Any other information would be enlightening. Let me know if you need my email instead of posting your answers.

Thanks,
TONY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hawaiian Ulua Rod.................HELP
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2009 09:52AM

Here's some information to get you started:

[rodbuilding.org]

Both Lamiglas and Seeker build these type rods. You might talk to Don Becker at Don's Tackle (link to the left) as he is well versed in this type fishing.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (68.44.9.---)
Date: June 02, 2009 12:55PM

Contact Batson R/S they had several of those rods at High Point

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (68.44.9.---)
Date: June 02, 2009 12:55PM

Contact Batson R/S they had several of those rods at High Point

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 01:28PM

Hi Tony, We are selling a ton of our NIRLVL Virtus Lites in HI for Ulua rods. They are half the weight of SS and will never ever corrode. The new inshore version of the Virtus series has a very strong frame yet reduces the weight of the rod. I'm told the weight reduction is dramatic. The NanoLite ring is also a perfect balance of strength and hardness that will handle the demanding conditions of Ulua fishing. They are the best of the best. If you want 316ss try our chrome or black chrome version.

VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE TITANIUM MED/HVY NANOLITE RING
SIZE DESCRIPTION
NIRLVL-8 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE TITANIUM MED/HVY NANOLITE RING 5.53
NIRLVL-10 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE TITANIUM MED/HVY NANOLITE RING 6.90
NIRLVL-12 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE TITANIUM MED/HVY NANOLITE RING 9.46
NIRLVL-16 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE TITANIUM MED/HVY NANOLITE RING 14.62
NIRLVL-20 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE TITANIUM MED/HVY NANOLITE RING 23.11
NIRLVL-25 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE TITANIUM MED/HVY NANOLITE RING 32.29

VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE 316SS MED/HVY CHROME NANOLITE RING
SIZE DESCRIPTION
NCRLVL-8 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE 316SS MED/HVY CHROME NANOLITE RING 3.07
NCRLVL-10 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE 316SS MED/HVY CHROME NANOLITE RING 3.47
NCRLVL-12 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE 316SS MED/HVY CHROME NANOLITE RING 4.01
NCRLVL-16 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE 316SS MED/HVY CHROME NANOLITE RING 4.91
NCRLVL-20 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE 316SS MED/HVY CHROME NANOLITE RING 6.47
NCRLVL-25 VIRTUS LITE CAST/TROLL GUIDE 316SS MED/HVY CHROME NANOLITE RING 8.73

If anyone would like a Excel price list with picturesof our new Ring Lock guides including our single foot A-Frame spinning drop me an email. Joe

Warmest Regards,

Joseph F Meehan III
American Tackle Co. Inc
Ph: +1-508-957-2164
Toll Free: 1-888-516-1750
Cell: +1-508-364-3770
Fax: +1-508-957-2165
Toll Free Fax: 1-800-966-9430
email: joe@americantackle.us
Web Site: [americantackle.us]

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2009 05:33PM

Jeff Andrews blanks are very hard to get, if you are able to find them at all. He make blanks very infrequently and I haven't seen any "new" ones for quite some time now. Talon, CTS, and Island Rod Wrap are just a few of the blanks in demand for Ulua fishing at the moment.
As for the stainless butt caps, If you PM me I can send you the numbers of all the rod shops here that carry them. Almost every shop that sells components carries these butt caps. They run between $18-$25.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 06:49PM

Tony,
Give my Friend Joe Kimura a call. He runs a shop on Oahu called 5 Oceans and 7 Seas. He will have all the answers you will need in regards to these questions. He has been around for a long time, I have known him for at least 25 years.. he goes way back.. he will have your blanks/components/SS sleeve the whole deal. let him know i recommended you to him, he is a great guy. phone number ( 808-843-8111)
if you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly, i also grew up on the islands fishing the elusive Ulua>>>

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
bill@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 02, 2009 09:42PM

I have an All Star Hawaii special and one of the Talons I would have to say the Talon is the one I would choose. Seeker makes some tough blanks for this either all S-glass or S glass/Graphite depending on which model but you need to get the SJ/Ulua extention to get any length over 10'. I would check out the Talon blanks myself, They don't cost an arm and a leg and are 1st quality!

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 02:23AM

Hi Tony,

Ulua fishing comes in many flavors.
To be called an Ulua, the fish must weigh 10 lbs. The biggest caught from shore were over 150 lbs. They do grow to 200 lbs.

You can follow the links on the following page to get an idea of the equipment used. Some is obsolete.
[www.hawaiifishingnews.com]

So the question becomes, what type ulua fishing does your friend do?
Bait casting, slide bait? Light, medium or heavy equipment? Spinning or conventional ?

Main line goes from about 20# to 100#. So there is a great range in rods and reels. The most popular reels are Penn and Newell.

Jeff Andrews has not been on the scene for some time. He played a historic role by the development of 2 piece graphite Ulua blanks. The history was along the lines: Sabre, Lamiglas, Fenwick, Jeff Andrews, and IRW (AKA OutCast). Recently there has been a flourish of blanks entering the market with a lot of them from China and Korea. Nitro probably leads sales of low end rods, while IRW leads sales of the more mid range rods.

I'm sure that Joe Meehan is correct about the titanium guides. They should be quite durable. I have been using Alconite guides in the past for all my bait casting rods. I will say that I was very impressed by the performance of the Am Tackle ring lock guides as compared to Fuji Gold Cermet guides. In addition to the lighter weight of the Am Tackle guides, I had minimized the weight of the wraps.

The metal sleeve is usually made of polished stainless steel. They are 12" long and come in various diameters both mm and inches. E.G. 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 mm. 1", 1 1/8", 1 1/4", 1 3/8". Almost every tackle shop will have a supply on hand.

Hope to have answered most of your questions,
Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster