I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Special Edition CD
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2009 03:49PM

I have decided to release the RodMaker Special Edition on Guide Sizing and Placement on CD. The run will be limited to 250 copies. They are $29.95 each, postpaid (no extra shipping charge). The first 10 to order will receive a free Fuji tiptop sizing gauge.

Check or money order to RodMaker, PO Box 1322, High Point, NC 27261.

At some point they will be available on the RodMaker Magazine website which is being revamped and updated. But that won't happen for another few weeks. If there are any left, I will list them for sale by credit card at that time.

I have packed a lot of "extras" into this edition and there are several articles within it that have not appeared previously in RodMaker Magazine.

Introducing the NEW RodMaker Special Edition - "Guides." for all rod guide sizing and placement This is the most comprehensive work ever assembled on the subject of selecting, sizing and locating guides on your custom rods. A “must have” primer for any beginning rod builder and a tremendous resource for long time builders as well. With this information you can correctly size and locate guides on any rod of any type and in optimum fashion for maximum performance. Topics include:

• Guide Sizing - Spinning, Casting, Conventional, Fly

• Guide Placement - Spinning, Casting, Conventional, Fly

• The New Guide Concept

• 6 Popular Spiral Wrap Methods Illustrated and Explained

• The “Simple Spiral”

• Rod Spine

• Building on the Straightest Axis

• Effects of Guide Placement

• General Notes on Guide Sizing, Location and Type

• Over 30 pages of instruction broken down into "step by step" format for all rod types and sizes.

The most comprehensive work on the subject ever published, this Special Edition CD is just $29.95 and shipped postpaid.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 03:52PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Special Edition CD
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 01, 2009 07:25PM

Tom

Will this special edition also be offered in print form, or just cd ?

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 07:49PM

Check's in the mail now. Personally, I prefer the CD versions; compact storage, easy retrieval, and I can zoom in rather than getting my face up close and squinting :)

By the way, the cover in the photo section has a link to the message board that's getting goofed up by a comma

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 07:53PM by James Hicks.

Date: June 01, 2009 09:13PM

I prefer print editions as well, but the upfront cost of about $10,000 (minimum) is just too much to handle. Thus, we'll do it on CD.

I was reminded that I failed to list the address:

RodMaker
PO Box 1322
High Point, NC 27261

You can look far and wide and you will not find this much nor this type information anywhere, including all the Clemens books combined, the Amato Book, the various DVD's out there, etc. This is truly the most comprehensive work ever produced on this particular subject.

Posted by: Kathi Glover (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 09:13PM

Tom~
I don't mean to be a pain, but is this a DVD or a CD? I am assuming (and that usually gets me in trouble) it is a DVD, including video not just audio. I have been away for too long and have missed you all, along with your knowledge. This is just what I need. Either way, I must agree with James, the check's in the mail.

Thank you so much for all the work and trouble you do to get the site, the mag, and now this is out. Great!

Kathi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 09:15PM by Kathi Glover.

Date: June 01, 2009 09:20PM

No, it's a CD. No video or audio. The information is presented in article format, with photos and illustrations. Some of the articles are from past issues of RodMaker, a few are entirely new.

It will require a computer (Mac, Windows, etc.) for viewing. It will not "play" on your DVD player. But it does not require any special software. As long as your machine has the ability to open a PDF file you have all you need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 07:50AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.snfccasy.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 09:37PM

Check is in the mail tonight.....
I love it when you do this sort of stuff Tom, it's just great.

Thanks,
Jon Gold

Date: June 01, 2009 09:53PM

I think it will be very helpful to a great many people and spares them from having to buy a dozen individual back issues.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 10:19PM

So if we have all back issues we really won't be learning anything new? Is this all review or are there new subjects covered?

Posted by: Chris Carrigan (---.dsl.lgtpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 10:40PM

It looks like there is new subjects covered. It should be exciting when it arrives in the mail.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (58.172.152.---)
Date: June 02, 2009 04:17AM

That's great news, as while the CD was good a lot of it was stuff like cane rods which wouldn't really interest a lot of people and let's face it a lot of the better articles are in the more recent mags. Let's hope Fishsticks get some for the the guys overseas.
Regards Charles

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 01:32PM

Tom can I use a credit card?

Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 02, 2009 01:48PM

You'd have to send me the details by email - I have no way to process it online until we add the CD to the website which may be some time. This is why I specified check or MO.

If you feel good about sending credit card details via email (still safer than by phone) go ahead.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: June 02, 2009 04:05PM

How does that count toward the 1st 10 .......... sent mine by check yesterday as you requested.

Date: June 02, 2009 04:22PM

I received 2 orders today, in person. I suspect what comes in tomorrow by mail will exhaust the supply. I'll take whatever is there, put them in a box, and pull out another 8. Those will get the tiptop gauges.

Wish I had more - these were all I had.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 02, 2009 05:30PM

Tom. Why should the first ten get tip-top gauges, why not the last ten? I'm in, send my gauge to the boys in Irak.
Dennis J. Danku

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.183.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 07:28PM

If there is enough interest after you run out, will they be available later?

Date: June 02, 2009 09:31PM

Dennis,

Because I only have 10 to give out. I know who the first 10 will be. I have no way of knowing who the last 10 will be.

Matthew,

I had 250 made. Once these are gone the interest will be slight and sales slow. In other words, I may not be able to justify another run of 250. Whether I do any more or not depends on how quickly these go. I expect 250 will last a couple or three months, easily.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 02, 2009 10:43PM

Tom, It was'nt a serious reply on my part but,if I was going to give the last ten people gauges I would just rubberband ten gauges to ten CD's and put them in a box aside from the other 240 CD's and they would be the last to be sold. If you requested $29.95 and a tip-top guage for the CD, at the end of the run you'd have 250 tip-top gauges in that box where the CD's were. And I'd be the first to send you one. Not a Fuji, I like the Pac-Bay ones better.
Tom ,your next topic for a CD should be repair and rebuilding of old rods to include long ago products such as Varmac reelseats& guides, Allen, Featherlite complete with old spec sheets reprinted fro the old catalogs of the 50's and 60's.I dont know about anyone else but that would be of interest to me.I do more rebuilds and refinishing than new rods and always on the prowl for parts and info. I'm gettin calases on my index fingers I have to stop peckkin So, take what I said with smile and think about your next topic. Thanks Dennis J. Danku

Date: June 03, 2009 08:21AM

I knew it was tongue in cheek - so was my response. There is some chance that not all 250 CDs will be sold. CDs don't really sell that well. I figure this run will take care of whoever wants one for the next year anyway.

Ralph O'Quinn is the man to write such a treatise on all aspects of repair - and he's worked with most of the components you mention. But he's involved with some other things right now. I do try to stay after him.

Buddy Owens found and gave me a 1977 FeatherWeight catalog recently. Really interesting. I have thought about running certain pages of various catalogs in the magazine over time but need to find out about the various copyrights on some of these older firms that are no longer in business.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster