I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe question
Posted by: Coy Callison (---.lightspeed.lbcktx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 09:37AM

My wife bought me a Craftsman lathe yesterday after hearing me gripe about wanting a lathe for years. Anyway, I have never use one before, and I have a question. The main thing I will use the lathe for is to turn grips (usually poured foam) into the proper diameter for use on my rods. Is there some abrasion tool or attachment for the tool bed that I can use to ensure exact and consistent diameter? I don't think holding sandpaper by hand while the foam is turning will give me the precision I want.

Thanks,
CC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe question
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2009 09:49AM

Make yourself a sanding block with a piece of wood and sandpaper.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2009 10:02AM

You really need to read some of the articles we've done on turning.

To keep the cylinder concentric with the bore you need to cut, not sand, the cylinder. For cork or rigid foam, a half round scraper held on the tool rest is all you need. Finish work can then be done with sandpaper.

Posted by: Coy Callison (---.lightspeed.lbcktx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 11:06AM

Thanks Jim. Tom, where can I find these articles?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2009 01:21PM

RodMaker Magazine - there have been several.

The book, Rod Building Guide, by Amato Publications, also has a chapter on turning cork and foam grips.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 02:51PM

Coy,
If you don't already have one, purchase a good caliper.
I prefer a digital or at least one with a dial on the caliper. It makes the unit much easier to read.
A good caliper will be able to measure to at least .001 inch with consistent results.

When using the lathe, stop the lathe frequently, as you are nearing your design goal and measure, measure, and measure.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 02:52PM

Complete set for $10.00. -- Click on this website:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Rena

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 03:35PM

Just remember with lathe tools you get what you pay for. These may turn foam but I would be leery on wood.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 31, 2009 03:43PM

I'm with Freddy! I would really shy away from them

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 04:23PM

Rena,
I have used these as a starter set and they work just fine.
As time goes by and if you get into heavy duty wood turning, you will likely opt for some better tools.
However, to start, and to learn basic techniques, these will do very well.

One thing that is very very important with any lathe turning equipment and that is to keep your tools razor sharp.

I use a belt sander to touch up the tools as needed. By using 300 or 400 grit paper on the sanding belt, it only takes a second or two to put a razor edge back on your turning tool.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chip Sugar (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 09:45PM

Coy, I have a craftmans lathe I bought a few years ago. It was on the floor a long time and I made them an offer they couldn't refuse. It is a heavy duty lathe and is great for bowls, and other large items. It did not turn fast enough for polishing pens and I still use a smaller lathe for polishing. I know nothing about turning foam grips, but I did buy the Harbor Freight tools mentioned earlier. They worked fine for soft porus woods and may work for foam. They did not hold up turning the exotic hardwood. You can look at Penn State industries or talk to the guys at woodturningz.com for quality tools.

Good Turning - Chip

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2009 11:58PM

Coy, I thought I had a good amount of lathe experience after growing up with a father who was a high school shop teacher. That was until I read the book on Rod Building by Tom K, and picking up a copy of A Dear's DVD on lathe use. I would get my hands on both the book and DVD. Everything you need to know is explained very well and covered completely. I got my DVD from Anglers Workshop and the book from one of the big on line places, and I'm sure a good portion of the sponsors to the left carry it also. I think your gona get bit by the turning bug and will move on to wood like most of us have!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster