I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

powder coating ss guides
Posted by: Dale Cecil (---.207-68.panhandle.res.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2009 06:15PM

I have had one set done and no report back on how they are holding up. Has anyone else tried this and do you have any reports back how they are doing realy great affect to guides and maching to rod color scheme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: powder coating ss guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2009 09:13PM

I've done it and the results were very good. But the rod has seen limited use so I have to stop short of making any statement about how well or how long it would hold up under rigorous use.

Date: May 30, 2009 09:25PM

Thanks Tom I want to find out how it holds up on braided line also. I have two more sets and I will sell them at no charge for the powder coat if they promise to give durability reports.
I forgot I have two rods I have done I will post pics when I locate them. If it holds up it may be a great new thing.

Posted by: John Zarski (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2009 10:03PM

Hey Dale, Did you say you need them powder coated? I have powder coating equpiment if you need me to shoot them for you. I will do it no problem.

Date: May 30, 2009 10:34PM

Thanks John they are done and two sets are on rods I want to know the durability how they hold up. How the powder coat stands the contant line rub mostly and especaliy braided line
Thanks for the ofer though thats what makes Toms Board #1 I would have got nothing but nasty replies from our local forum thats why I dont go ther Thanka Again Jonh will keep you in mind if I need any more done

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.69.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 10:53PM

I have a question about powder coating guides though, I also have my own powder coating equipment and have done quite a bit of various materials especially for motorcycles and hot rods, question is, how are you preping your guides before coating, sandblasting of sorts or just a good cleaning?
Thnaks, Rob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 11:10PM

I havne't put mine on a rod yet, but I will very soon: [www.rodbuilding.org] I think the braided line will wear right through the power coating quite quickly. I guess you are about to find out.

Date: May 31, 2009 08:50AM

We covered all this in the RodMaker article on Powder Coating.

The powder coat will not stand up to line wear. Not with braid and not with mono. It will hold up, as far as we know, on things like guide frames and reel seats. Line guide rings are another story.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: May 31, 2009 10:04AM

What about snakes for fly rods?

Mike

Date: May 31, 2009 10:40AM

The powder coating is neither good for your fly line nor will it hold up. Remember, once a line picks up some waterborne grit and debris, for all intents and purposes it becomes a file.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 09:34PM

Billy. If I remember correctly you do not have powder coat inside the rings, correct? Therefor the coating should never be in contact with the line (unless you dont string the line properly). A good shot with a glass bead blaster will give the guide enough tooth to hold onto.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: RICKY JACKSON (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 09:38PM

How are you doing it and not coating the inner ring?

Masking it off or cleaning it somehow?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster