I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Guides on Fly Rod
Posted by: Mark Clooten (89.105.196.---)
Date: May 29, 2009 10:32AM

Building up a 9' #5 fly rod and want the best possible guides. Ceramics seem heavy to me. Am I wrong? Snakes may wear or groove over some time. Again, am I wrong about this?

Was thinking that the Recoil fly guides might give the best all around performance due to low weight and non grooving properties. Don't like the high cost but what else is out there that gives the best of all worlds?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Guides on Fly Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2009 10:49AM

There are pros and cons to any guide type you select.

I don't think ceramics are heavy, provided you size them wisely. I use them on 3-weight rods and can keep the whole set up as light as if I had used snake guides. You shouldn't have to use very large guides on your 5-weight rod so I don't think weight is going to be much of an issue.

The Recoils are very nice guides, if you can stand the cost. Although on a decent blank which you expect to use for many, many years down the road, the cost really isn't that great. I would make the same statement about top line titanium frames with good SIC or Cermet ceramic rings.

If you really do want the lightest possible guides, but with no grooving and low cost, I'd take a look at the Pacific Bay Minima 4 fly rod guides. I've been giving these a look lately and I think they could really offer the best overall compromise of weight, durability and cost, of any guide type out there for fly rod use. I mention the 4 series over the 3, because for the cost difference I'd rather have the double swaged ring.

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 11:59AM

Recoil guides are hands down the lightest when comparing guides of equal opening size. They are at least 1/3 the weight of comparable guides in my experience. On a 5 wt. the Recoil's "groove factor" should be a non-issue in most people's lifetime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 12:00PM by John Krukemeier.

Posted by: Billy Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 12:18PM

"Best possible guides" and "cheap" do not go together very well. Here was my solution. I have the single foot Recoils on one of my rods and while they ARE lightweight they sure do "sing" when the line pulls through them. So much so that on my next lightweight 3wt rod I used the smallest steel snake guides I could find. I shortend the feet on them to make them lighter. I used minimum silk to wrap them. A touch of finish to seal the silk was all I used. I'm very pleased with the result. They are light and quiet. Line seems to shoot fine despite the small size. Very cheap. So go small. 4/0 and 3/0. I use a Fuji Ti sic single foot 8 for a stripper. On my next flyrod (every rodbuilder starts his next rod the second the finish on his last rod is dry to the touch) I might do the Fuji concept route. Remember when building a rod every fraction of a ounce you save ads up and in the end make the difference between just another rod and rod that is a joy to use.

Date: May 29, 2009 12:31PM

Again, if you haven't taken a hard look (actually held them in your hands) do not overlook the Minima 4 guides.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 12:33PM

I have used light recoils on 8 ft 3 wt and have not experienced the "singing." One solution is to use the heavy saltwater recoils which I am told will eliminate the "singing." There is not much difference in mass between the light and heavy recoils and the price is the same. Tom's suggestion looks interesting but I could not locate a price for the Pac Bay minima guides. I find the gold inserts in the 3 to be interesting.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.88.166.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 01:04PM

Grooving of the guides on most fly rods isn't even an issue.
The guides primarily see only the fly line which is too soft to create grooves in the guides.
The Recoil single foot guides IMO are the best choice because of how quickly the rod tip reacts and the reduced swing weight. The noise is an issue but can be reduced by fly line selection.
To minimize cost I only use the Recoils for the top 3 to 4 guides using single foot steel for the remainder with a double foot alox stripper. Weight vs inside dia the Recoils are very hard on the competition.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 02:24PM

Tom:

"Pacific Bay Minima 4"

Where away?

Search of Pac Bay site plus Goggle search and brief review of some sponsors sites do not show the above.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 03:48PM

here is a site for guide weights: [rodcomponents.koolhost.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 29, 2009 04:36PM

Fly rods guides are prone to grooving because fly line picks up a great deal of miniscule grit and debris, which then turns the fly line into a file of sorts. This is why stainless and chrome pear tops are so quick to groove and cut.

The Minima 3 guides do come in more colors, but the ring is only swaged on one side. For the tiny price difference between them, the Minima 4 series makes more sense, to me anyway. They're very light - think ceramic guide with no ceramic ring involved.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 05:16PM

Any sponsor who carries them and would like to chime in I would appreciate it. How does this mounting system compare to say a BLAG guide?

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 05:37PM

Richard,
Go to the Pac Bay web site and download the Product Catalog which is a PDF file. The Minima3 and Minima 4 guides begin on page 16. You can also down load the MSRP price list as well.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 08:40PM

Thank you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 12:48PM

Tom:
What is a - pear top - ?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 31, 2009 01:37PM

The standard fly tiptop that's been around for about 75 or 80 years now. The loop comes out of the tube, makes a turn (loops) and then goes back into the tube. It results in a pear shape, rather than a round shape.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 08:26AM

Never herd it called that Usually just large loop or standard loop wire

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster