I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

removing old finish
Posted by: Chris Carrigan (---.dsl.lgtpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2009 08:56PM

I have a 10' rod that i want to change the guide's on. What is the preferred method of removing the guides and old finish. Please all the feedback will be helpful

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing old finish
Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: May 28, 2009 09:00PM

i would slice the thread on top of the guide foot with an xacto knife and pluck out the guide... unwrap leftover threads, and use a plastic butter knife/fingernail to pluck at the bits of finish..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Chris Carrigan (---.dsl.lgtpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2009 09:04PM

That was kinda what i was thinking, But just wanted someone elses opinion. Thanks Christopher,

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2009 10:57PM

Same method as listed above, but adding the use of a heat gun will soften the old epoxy and make it much easier to remove. Start with a little bit of heat, it doesn't usually take much and you can use your finger nail to remove the old finish without damaging the blank. I got myself a heat gun that has an adjustable setting for the amount of heat it produces. Check an Ace Hardware store for their brand, it was around 35 bucks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2009 11:53PM

Chris,
In addition to the other posts, when removing the old finish - use a bit of heat to soften the finish and then use a straight edged razor blade - held at 90 degrees to the blank. (don't use too much heat or you may destroy the blank).
It is also a good idea to scrape from the butt to the tip. There is more carbon at the butt of the rod, and if you scrape from the tip to the butt, you run the risk, of hooking a carbon thread and peeling it back off the rod.

Finally, after getting the finish removed, go over it with finer and finer grades of sand paper and wet and dry paper used wet for the final finish. You will be left with a nice matt finish ready for the new guides.

Take care
Roger

Date: May 28, 2009 11:55PM

i've heard about using heat guns, but i cant seem to find one over here..

-

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 02:02AM

Heat guns can be hot enough to break down the rod. Boiling water won't - even at sea level. (Boiling temperature drops with increased elevation.) So I use boiling water. Very safe and easy.

Mo

Date: May 29, 2009 02:32AM

have to add.. slice the top of the guide foot away from yourself (do it towards the ring)

-

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 06:18AM

Also wear eye protection when scraping the old finish. That old dried up finish really flies off the blank.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster