I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Opinions
Posted by: Robert Benton (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2009 06:37PM

I have a cust that wanted 8 downrigger rods and had specs of the way he wanted them. I built to spec with 10" eva butts. A problem arose when he called me to say the butts were getting torn up and butt caps were falling off. The problem is that he is a welder and built his own rod holders for the downriggers that consist of 7" tubes with no floor or stop so the butts of the rod stick out the bottom 3". So fishing for stripped bass on the Hudson river when you get a 30lb fish and an inexperienced fisherman the force requried to remove the rod from the holder is tearing up the eva and knocking off the caps. I told him I would repair the rods only if he redid the holders as to end the problem. Fair?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 28, 2009 06:45PM

In a way, the best way of going from the start would be for you to have known what kind or rod holders he had and than originally installed something like a slick butt instead of the EVA. The butt cap and grip than would have been very difficult to damage.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 28, 2009 06:56PM

Here's what I do with trolling rods, cheap and pretty much indestructable [www.rodbuilding.org] Underground sprinkler hose (Can usually get leftover pieces from any sprinkler installer or Lowe's/ Home Depot for free or a couple bucks)!! Comes in a couple diameters. Sand on lathe with 100 grit and a couple coats of gel urethane while turning on lathe and you've got a grip that no rod holder will tear up

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: May 28, 2009 11:36PM

I would have him fix the holders. Fix one rod and see if this is truly an overall fix. If it is, then he should go for the labor to fix the rest, since it is his holders fault.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 07:37AM

EVA + any rodholder = bad. EVA will always get torn up when used in rod holders for trolling. EVA will make it very difficult to remove the rod with a large fish on. Some sort of slick butt is best. Make one yourself as Mike did or buy a ready built one. Rod slides right out of the holder even with large saltwater fish on.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 08:18AM

I will add that for some trolling purposes (not what your customer has experienced here) the eva butt grip is necessary to prevent the slipping out of the holder. Slick butt + T-Top sideways rod holder in choppy seas results in lost equipment if it isnt tied down. With an EVA grip, that rod will stay put.

In any case, I would say change one to a slick butt and see how it holds up, and if that wont cut it, use Mike's idea as I believe it may be stronger.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 08:44AM

You might like a 1" OD PVC sch 40 pipe with Batson EVABC20 cap.
The pipe is available in white or gray, there may be other sizes that will work for you, depending on rod OD.
Use Laq Thinner to remove any printing on the tube, they can also be spray painted and coated with rod finish to protect.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster