I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Instruction Fees
Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: May 27, 2009 04:32PM

Just curious as to how much other instructors charge their clients for instruction. I normally charge retail prices for all components including blank and then anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00 flat fee depending on what type rod it is and whether they want to include a butt wrap or not. Overall I fairly flexible. Once they have picked their components I adjust my pricing as to not out price myself.

Do most go bye a flat fee??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Instruction Fees
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2009 04:38PM

I don't charge anything at all to someone willing to REALLY attempt to learn. I even give them a 10% discount on components AND try to find the occasional blanks/components on sale to help even further.

Personally, I am just absolutely thrilled to introduce anyone to the tradecraft ... I think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

That probably isn't the answer you were looking for ... but that's the one I have for you.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2009 04:50PM

That all depends - are you talking about offering rod building classes? I used to do this and charged $50 per head. I only took 5 or 6 students per class, which ran 4 nights, 2 hours at a time, one night per week. That was 15 to 20 years ago. Nowadays I think $100 for a class which includes all the basics would be more than fair. If the student is even remotely intelligent (and the instructor is even remotely competent) then the information that is passed on has to be worth many times over that amount.

The cost for blanks and components, would be additional, of course.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 27, 2009 04:52PM

I've taught quite a few people how to build and do it just for the enjoyment of getting someone else started in theis great craft!. It might be different if I was actually teaching a class somewhere but as it is, being retired I have the time and get a lot of satisfaction out of sharing what little knowledge that I have and seeing others discover the joy in building a fishing rod.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: May 27, 2009 05:23PM

I must say I agree with alot of you willing to teach for free to someone who wants to learn. In re thinking I would probably do the same unless that person intended to go into business for himself. Thank you for the feed back, it gave me something to think about. By the way, I charge civic organizations nothing at all, the sponsoring agency usually charges a nomnal fee. I dont charge for any thing at all. I dont charge individual kids anything either.

Thanks guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 05:24PM by Vern Metcalf Jr.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 09:06PM

Vern I would be limited on additional info. I would charge for (Cork Design, Foam Design and Thread Art or Weaving). Example I have a friend who started picking my brain about a year ago. I showed him the basics of how and the whys of a spinning rod. He did a decent job. Then all of a sudden he is calling for more technical information. Come to find out he is selling his rods which are copy cats. He has not a clue why or what makes a certain blank works better than another even if they are rated the same. One of his stupid questions, How did this rod get a translucent finish on its wraps and the how did they get the almost see threw finish on their blanks. .He thought the graphite its self was colored when it was in its raw stages before making it into a blank, He also wanted to know what thread they used. I told him that those were company trade secrets. LOL Any way he called the company and that is just what they told him. LOL, He now has a sign on his workshop door. He has yet to purchase a book let alone a DVD . He says he can get it all over the net. Hey I am retired, but you can only share so much. We all paid our dues, in purchasing books and seminars. I stared back in the late 70's back then one one shared.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: billy broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 10:18PM

I teach it to adult education. I charge 140 dollars which includes all meterials. On top of that they have to pay the schools tuition of 60. It is a 6 week two hours per course. In 12 hours they walk away with one finished rod all the tools and knowhow to keep going in the craft. I have a 5 person minamum and a 10 person maximum and have filled up with a wait list most every time. I have created a sylabus outline and tests and mudhole has been great about supplying the material at a resonable rate. Everyone gets a mudhole catalog as well so it's a win win for them and me. Since your starting out you may want to look at there educational package its a good starting point. For those that want to go beyond the course i have gotten them together in my shop for a informal rod building "202" at no charge. I make that up by selling them blanks andcomponents at retail. They save shipping and in most cases get the imeidiate gradifacation of walking away with components.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: May 28, 2009 03:42AM

ethically speaking, (i dont teach people, and in fact, I am looking for mentors) if someone wants to go into business without the know how, it is only right that he should have to probably pay something in order to learn .. it just doesnt seem right to find a mentor, take up his time, learn everything for free and later, turn around and bites the hand that fed him by competing with him in the same trade

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: May 28, 2009 12:18PM

Free rod building classes are available in Southern CA for those who live in the neighborhood.

I know of two different Rod Building classes in Southern California, which give absolutely free lessons to rod building groups. They are located at:

1). 10174 Embassy way, San Diego Ca Phone: (858) 693-9047

Weekly Lessons and tutorials by the sponsors and visiting experts.

2). Glenn's Tackle Shop at 1145 Baker St. Costa Mesa, CA 92626 - Phone: 714-957-1408

Group lessons meet on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month and the 5th when there is one

Principal instructor is Bobby Gowin, who is the Shop owner, plus occasional visiting experts such as, Ken Bushman, Mark Griffin of @#$%& -- et al.

The lessons are given in the Tackle Shop. The attendees are given discounts on all rod-building materials used during the classes. Bill Batson, of Batson Enterprises and Mark Griffin of @#$%&, have both generously donated rod building packages for these classes. These packages included blanks and components.

Rena

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2009 12:19PM by Rena Hall.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 02:02AM

I learned to build at a shop that charged $20.00 for supplies (thread, epoxy, finish) and retail on componenents. They would teach you the basics and then let you go. If you desired to learn more they would work with you. They had a very loyal core group of builders, and as most of them developed skills they would teach others. There were no set hours for instruction, just come in grab your stuff, and get to work. I will say they did have some theft problems from people raiding the supplies of others which kind of sucked, but with a better setup it would be a very good way to do buisness.

Date: May 29, 2009 12:53PM

Billy,
I like the way you run your classes, very simiilar to the way I run larger adult classes, however, individual classes are different as pointed out in Bob's post you run a danger of competition or continued questions that can be found in information poiinted out in the class that I run.

Iam not new to teaching by any means, I simply wondered what others thought of pricing and its interesting to see all the varied responses.

Thanks again
Vern

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 02:09PM

If you plan on doing a one on one, make sure you have them sign a non-compete at least for the same area within 50miles or so. Most who truly want to learn and have no desire to go into business for it, will happily sign it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2009 07:23PM

Shops often give classes for free, but there is a profit motive involved (nothing wrong with that). They are hoping that the attendees will return to buy rod building supplies in the future.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster