I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral guide set up??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 11:50PM

I have read many about many folks who use various type of spiral guide setups.
Simple spiral, revolver and others.
One thing that seems to be fairly common with most of these systems is the direction to set the guide that is nearest to the reel at 0 degrees with respect to the reel seat.

I have found a rather interesting thing with most of my recent spiral rod guide setups.

After placing all of the guides in the position to load the rod correctly, I check and double check the angular alignment of the guides.
For most of the spiral setups that I have built recently, I use 3 guides to get from the top to the bottom of the rod.
When working with the angular rotation of these guides, I mount the reel that is going to be used with the rod.
I will pull off 30 to 50 feet of line, and slowly recover the line under light pressure.
I then align each of the first three guides from the reel on up the rods so that as the line is recovered, the line moves from one side of each guide to the other side of the guide - especially in the first guide.
Then, I adjust the 2nd guide to try to maximize the largest average amount of time spent near the center of the guide. I do the same thing for the 3rd guide.

In doing this process, I have found that the general setup for the first guide is NOT at 0 degrees with respect to the reel, but actually close to 15-20 degrees in the direction that the line is spiraling around the rod.

I.e. by offsetting the first guide from 0 degrees in the direction of guide spiral, I find that the line is actually recovered equally on both sides of the first guide, and also that the line stacks equally on the reel.

In contrast, when I set the first guide at 0 degrees, I find that the line is rubbing against the side of the first guide much of the time, and I also find that the line wants to stack up on one side of the reel. i.e. the line doesn't wind back on the reel as evenly, as if the first guide is offset somewhat in the direction of the spiral wraps.

----------
Before doing your final guide alignment on your next spiral wrap - do some adjustments - in both directions with respect to 0 degrees and see what you find on your particular build.

One might think that the offset first guide is a bit odd, but it certainly builds into a better casting, fish catching, and line handling rod - than a spiral wrapped rod with the first guide set at 0 degrees.

Give it a try - you might like it.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral guide set up??
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 26, 2009 05:53AM

I kind of do the same thing, I put the rod in a holder, load the line up with a 4oz. weight. then slide the butt guide over till the line is centered in the guide. and repeat for the second and third guide.
i don't figure the exact degree off zero but around 15 or so looks about right. last three i did this way and i like the results as well. they were worth building just to see the faces of people when they check them out.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 26, 2009 07:39AM

Offsetting the first guide so the line enters the reel along the true 0 degree axis is a component of the Revolver Wrap. RodMaker readers will be aware of it but some others may not.

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 26, 2009 08:10PM

thats probably where i got it from, just could not remember the name, i can't remember mine on occasion.

Posted by: james gregory (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 27, 2009 09:17AM

Jim,when you load the rod and center the line in the first guide,where in relation to the reel spool is the line.do you center the line in the spool,left or right or does it even matter?thanks,just trying to learn,jim gregory.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster