I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone adhesive
Posted by: Ted Metzger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 25, 2009 02:05PM

I got a hold of Kevin Knox's video and found it to be extrememly informative and covered the suject very well I thought. Anyhow, one thing I discovered is that the veneer he's using has a backing on it , that the veneer I bought does not have. I contacted Kevin and he gave me a couple of ideas, specifically using a spray on type of adhesive for this, but warned that it was probably way less than ideal, and I agree with him. However, this veneer was around $35 for the piece I have, and I hate to just chuck it. So, if anyone else has had a similar problem and has a solution , I would love to hear it. Is it possible to buy the backing seperately? One last thing, Thanks Kevin for all the help, I very much appreciate it when somebody follows through on the promises they make , and continues to offer to help even further if needed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone adhesive
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2009 04:49PM

I've used spray on adhesive (contact cement) and I've used good double stick tape...

The double stick tape gave me much better results - almost identical to the veneer that Kevin carries.

In my case, I cut the shell to the correct size, applied the double stick tape. I allowed it to "set" overnight
and then used the vineagar method.

You can usually find high quality doublesided tape at an office supply store.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (12.213.112.---)
Date: May 25, 2009 09:19PM

If you have a body shop supply store close to you they should have a good moulding adheasive that would work for what you want. Also some of the Napa's carry body shop supplies or they can order what you need.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 26, 2009 07:51AM

Contact Scott at aqua blue. He will sell the adhesive only to you.

Thanks for the kind words. Im glad it worked out for you!!

Kevin

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 26, 2009 10:14AM

Kevin - Scott told me he would not sell just the adhesive

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2009 10:25AM

I have used commercial carpet tape that I bought from a professional carpet supply store. It works well and it is very thin and has a great adhesive quality. Just another thought.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2009 10:58AM

Ted,
contact me with the dimensions you need and I'll send you some of the adhesive. We purchase it by the large roll.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster