I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread fuzzies
Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 01:22PM

My new spool of metallic thread has fuzzies coming off of it like crazy. I tied all the guides on already WITHOUT finish, hoping I can fix them after the fact. So here's my question. What's the best way to fix it; Singe them with a standard "lighter" (I don't have an alcohol burner) I'm a little worried about soot, OR apply the first coat of finish and carefully cut them off, but I don't want them to lie down in the finish either to where I can't cut them off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread fuzzies
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 01:42PM

Curious as to what brand of thread you are using. I switched to Sulky metallic even though the color selection leaves a little to be desired to avoid the problems you are having. In my limited experience I have not had a lot of success trying to fix after the fact. Maybe you could wrap a dowel rod and experiment on the fix first. Good luck

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 01:42PM

Your second choice is probably the safest approach. I use metallics & apply the first of finish & then cut the fuzzies off.

Posted by: Lyle Stokes (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 01:51PM

If useing a lighter be sure to use the side of the flame and not to put it directly under the wrap, this will help with the soot factor, and do not get to close.

Date: May 25, 2009 04:27PM

The brand of metallic is from a reputable company, but unfortuantely this spool slipped by QC.

I may try and wrap a dowel with the thread and see how well I can get the fuzzies to singe with the side of the flame. If that doesn't work out too well I'll try the first coat of finish approach.

Sounds like a plan.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 05:19PM

You have Tobe extremely careful with a flame the metalic well burn away from the Nylon core in a heart beat. I would put a coat of finish on let set 24 hours trim and re-coat. Are all the wraps like this? I use Mederia or Sulky and have not experience your extreme problem

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 11:55PM

Wade,
I have had one rod end up with fuzzies. I did not notice the fuzzies until I already had the guide wraps coated.
Fortunately, I was able to use a straight edged razor to scrape off the fuzzies, then a light scuff with 3m and recoat.

The rod was NEARLY as good as if it had been done correctly the first time.

In your case, if you don't have any coatings on the rod, I would cut the guides off the rod - throw away the thread that caused the fuzzies - get a new spool of thread that will not fuzz under tension and rewrap.

Although - a bit of time, the end result will be much better and you will be much happier in the long run.
Any recovery of fuzzies after the fact will result in a less than perfect job.

Be safe, happy, content and do it over.

Take care
Roger

Date: May 26, 2009 06:14AM

Well, I tried the test on the dowel and singed the fuzzies, but it doesn't take them down completely. It appears that the nylon core melts into a tiny ball right next to the wrap. You have to look close to see it, but it's most certainly there.

Roger, I've thought of your approach too and that's probably the best way. But I'm running short on time to get this rod done before our trip (It's a surprise for my son on our BWCA trip June 10th). I'll have to check with the other rod builder in town and see if he has any of the same thread.

Here's a picture of one of the guides. If you look close you can see the fuzzies in question.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 06:21AM by Wade White.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2009 03:00PM

Wade,
It is interesting in that the thread that I had the problem with was the identical color -

If you are short on production time, go ahead and give it your first coat of finish.
When the fuzzies come along - make sure that the coating is completely dry. Then, use a straight edged razor blade -scrapped at 90 degrees to the blank to scrape off the fuzzies and level the finish. then, scuff it with 3m.
Wipe down and recoat. You will be fine.

Just don't scrape or scrub too hard. You don't want to cut through your finish and start nicking the thread.

Roger

Date: May 26, 2009 03:05PM

It may cost a little more you might call a sponsor and see if they have your thread and do a over night shipment. Also metalic thread was never designed for fishing rods, was designed for those who sew. You well find out also the metalic threads sold by rod suppliers is the same thread sold at sewing shops or craft stores. I get my Madera or Sulky thread at a craft store called Jo Ann's . They have a huge selection. Remember it is a must you use CP before applying finish. These type of threads have a Silicone finish, which well repel finishes. (Fish Eyes).

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 26, 2009 04:01PM

Sulky Metallic s are the BEST metallic s I have ever used.

If you flame the fuzzies, it will really help. You don't have to "cook" the thread either, just running the flame around the wraps quickly usually takes them away. Sure, there will be tiny balls of melted thread sitting on top of the wraps, these usually cover with finish very easily, or you can burnish them off most of the time if you so care to do so.

DR

Date: May 26, 2009 04:37PM

DR you make a good point. Also if you see some irregularities you can add just a tad of micro glitter to the finish

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster