I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Has anyone attempted this yet
Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 11:14AM

Has anyone attempted to apply a vinyl decal to bare thread & then apply your finish & how did it turn out?
Thanks,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone attempted this yet
Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 11:44AM

I haven't tried it so maybe someone else would have more insight. If you are going to do this you will have to use color preserver, and before you put the decal in place. Otherwise your color will be slightly different under the decal, or a lot different with no CP at all because the finish will not penetrate completely under the decal. With a couple coats of CP applied prior to the decal your color will remain the same with or without the decal. Now the decal sticking good?? Depends on what kind you use.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 01:01PM

Gaps in thread where decal would not be touching anything might expose adhesive to finish and cause a problem-have to try it-holler w/results. Burnishing decal over bare thread could cause thread texture to show through decal also.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 01:51PM

I've done it, but it's not easy, you have to wait until your finish is thickened up enough to hold the decal in place and not lift it.

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 25, 2009 02:08PM

Just curious as to why you would do this???

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: May 25, 2009 02:17PM

Just to see if I could skip a step if I needed to Mike :-)

It's NOT something I do, but just something I have tried with success a couple years ago. I would NOT recommend it!!! It can get you in more trouble than it's worth. Read that last line again.

DR

Date: May 25, 2009 02:25PM

Mike, the vinyl material is extremely thick in comparison to other decal mediums. It requires me to apply two coats of finish. Since I'm going to apply the vinyl over thread, I was curious to see if anyone had skipped the the first coat over the thread only. The present finish I use is low build & I have no issues with it & will continue to use it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 26, 2009 12:39AM

Makes sense, Just wondering

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: May 26, 2009 08:34AM

Jeff,

Something that helps cover the thick decals is to let your finish thicken more before application. You may already do this, you can get by with one coat once it thickens, but that coat is likely to be as thick as the 2 you had to begin with.

DR

Date: May 26, 2009 09:07PM

Duane, I went ahead and tried it anyways & got good results. I put the second coat on this morning & you cannot tell that I simply applied the vinyl to the thread only. I maybe got lucky & wont make it a regular thing to do.
Thanks everyone,
Jeff

Date: May 27, 2009 12:46PM

Glad it worked out for you Jeff. Like I said, I've done it several times also and it can be done as you have seen. I just don't trust it because the fail ratio is higher. When you have one fail, you can end up with a mess of sticky in the finish from the decal and into the thread that cant be dealt with easily. End result may be a bigger decal! :-)

DR

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 09:21PM

So how did you get the color of the thread under the decal to match what wasn't ? or did you put it on NCP?

Date: May 28, 2009 08:30AM

Cody, I used black nylon, the vinyl does not let the thread underneath show.
Jeff

Date: May 28, 2009 09:44AM

I've dont it on GB green nylon with no CP, the finish will penetrate the edges of the thread around the decal and you wont see whats under the decal like Jeff suggested. The appearance will be no different than putting finish on the thread 1st and adding the decal the normal way. Again, the failure rate is much higher.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster