I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1 wt. fly rod blanks
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: May 24, 2009 11:48PM

Hi,
I am looking for 61/2 to 8 ft 2 piece 1 wt. fly rod blanks priced under $60, but am having trouble finding any. Can anyone make some suggestions I have already looked at the board sponsors. Any help would be appreciated. They will be used for extreme ultralite spinning rods. I built one on a 2 wt. but would really like to try a 1 wt.

Thanks
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1 wt. fly rod blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2009 08:35AM

At what distance are you going to be fishing it?

Pick a spinning rod blank rated for 1/16th ounce casting lure weight. That will put you in the ballpark.

Date: May 25, 2009 12:27PM

Hi, Tom

I,m casting 1/80 of an ounce 20 - 30 ft. with a palsa float also.

Mike

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 05:48PM

If you are following up on the In Fisherman article like I was, I couldn't find 1 weight rod blanks either. I finally built a 7 1/2 foot spinning rod on a AMF Matrix 763 3 wt fly blank, designed around a Shimano 500 Sedona, and it is the most spectacular performing ultra light I've ever seen. I have 8# braid, no leader, and it works great. I used a skeleton reel seat with a turned cork insert, Batson reel seat shims for ramps on both ends of the reel seat. I used the new concept guide system ending up with 3.5 Batson micros, and cannot be more please with the rod. Check out the grip area of the rod on the photos section of the forum, if you're interested.

I don't know if it will cast 1/80 oz jigs well or not, but it really loads well and casts 1/16 oz cranks beautifully.

I think that most or all spinning blanks will probably be too fast for what you want, so I would recommend you keep looking for fly blanks. There are some that are slower than the 763 from both American Tackle and Batson. But I really like the 763.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: May 27, 2009 07:01PM

What final length are you looking for in the spinning rod? The 763 mentioned makes me think about the 793 that some manufacturers offer, which would give you a bit more room for trimming, etc. to get just what you're looking for.

Date: May 27, 2009 08:31PM

Hey, Michael
I built a rod for a customer that saw the In Fisherman article. I ended up using a forecast RX6 6'6" 2 wt. fly blank and added 12" to the length. I used amtak concept guide set. The rod can cast very well but after landing a 8 pound catfish in testing with customer permission, I would really would like to try a 1 wt. on his next rod,oh well, not to be. Can castup to 20 - 25 ft. with a palsa float and a size 6 or 8 split shot and a small egg pattern.

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.92.245.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 10:29PM

The cheapest 1 weight I've found is a TFO finesse 4 piece at $90.
Ultra light spinning rods aren't even light enough but they are in your price range.
A 6'6" IM7 blank will require a butt dia approx .215 with a tip at 3.5/64
A 7" IM7 will require a butt dia approx .230 with the same tip
A 7'6" IM7 will require a butt dia approx .245 with the same tip
You may find an ultra light in this range but it's pretty small.
Use these diameters as a guide and find the smallest butt dia you can.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster