I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
8ft popping blank breaks twice
Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.cor.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: May 24, 2009 04:13AM

hey guys
builded these rod twice and it breaks in the same place both time,followed the guide spaciing cart mfg website and only 20inch sea trout,just got new blank back does the same thing,well known mfg dont want to say who never had this before and great product any ideas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8ft popping blank breaks twice
Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: May 24, 2009 05:57AM

where did it break?

Posted by: billy broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2009 06:03AM

Alen Need more info. How many guides did you use? What kind of prep did you do on them? What material and modulous is the blank? Was there any bumping say in the boat or car? hw many pieces i the rod? Is the line you are using rated for the rod? Do you know what high sticking is? Many more questons I ask my clients Hopefully before the rod leaves the shop!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2009 08:24AM

If these are first quality blanks with decals/labels, return them to the manufacturer and let them make the call. There could be a defect, or you may have blanks that were dinged at the same spot in shipping, etc.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 24, 2009 11:02AM

Nice trout - tough luck!

Maybe we can be helpful if a little more information is known - did both of the rods break while you were doing the same thing? You are in contol of the following circumstances if the rod has not been damaged by dings.

Thinking back on the exact details - each of the following can cause a failure of a hollow graphite fishing rod.

1. Did it break while you were throwing a lure? If so what was the lure weight?

2. Did it break while you were "fighting the fish on reel in" - were your using braid and was the drag set?

3. Did it break while you were "lifting or swinging the 20 incher into the boat or on to the bank"?

4. Was the rod bent or loaded so the deflection exceeded 90 degrees at the time of failure.

5. Where was your off hand positioned on the rod at the time of failure - in front of the foregrip?

6. Did it break while you were attempting to free a hung up lure? If so which direction were you pulling?

7. Do you have the Rodmaker Article on reducing fishing rod failures - pictures of "high sticking" included?

8. If you sere wading was the rod vertical while you were attempting to get your hands around the fish?

9. Was the rod standing vertical propped on your shoulder while you were attempting to take the hook out of the specs mouth? Did the fish slip out of your hands and fall on the deck or ground?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2009 12:34PM

Alan,
Post the build of your rod. i.e. blank name and model, guides and guide spacing.

Popping blanks have a nice soft tip to be able to throw live bait for trout and other fish as you have found.
As a result, most popping blanks that I have built up use a pretty dense guide spacing near the tip to properly load the rod.

i.e. on the last few that I have built have had a guide spacing of about 3, 3, 3 1/4, 4, 4 1/2 for the first 4 or 5 guides. i.e. the tips on the blanks that I have been using have been light and soft enough that you need this number and spacing of the guides to keep the blank properly loaded.

Of course as the blank thickens, the guide spacing moves out.

Also - as the other post suggests, what were the circumstance that the rod broke. Where did it break and what was the appearance of the break.

I assume that you didn't high stick the fish. i.e. have the rod vertical with the fish hanging straight down - effectively causing a 180 degree bend in the rod. If you did - you were asking the rod to break.

Fill us in on the details to avoid future problems.

Take care
Roger

Date: May 24, 2009 03:47PM

hey every one
it is a rainshadow ip963 rx7 graphite guide spacing is from the tip 4.5 9.25 14.25 21 28 37 47 59 and it keeps breacking between the first and secound guides

Date: May 24, 2009 04:01PM

At this point I would venture to say that the score is:

Misuse 2 Blank O

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 24, 2009 08:34PM

Question: Did you purchase these two rods at the both same time? If so, what you may have is simultaneous damage to both rods at some point in their lives. I find it hard to believe that these rods could have an inherent flaw in the same place due to manufacture unless they were successive in manufacturing. The most obvious problem of a failure in the same location on two rods is damage to both at some point at the same time between the manufacturer and your assembly point.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2009 09:13PM

I too am keeping the same score there Mr Stevens. The only difference is my Jambolia won't kill you. Dat Dar is soam goood Gumboo Jeeya

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 12:13AM

Alan,
What were the details with respect to the rods breakage.
i.e. how you were fishing, what was going on with the rod at the time of the break?
What line test did you have on the rod?

Thanks much
Roger

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: May 25, 2009 05:05AM

Did the rod break while landing the fish? My FIL just broke one of my rods doing this. I saw him doiing it but couldn't stop him in time. when fish got up to boat, he pointed the rod straight up in the air and pushed up to reach down and grab fish. kaboom about 12 inches down. He said wow how did that happen. I promptly went home and handed him a copy of the rodmaker article on reducing broken rods. Im going to start making anybody who uses one of my rods read this first. LOL

Date: May 25, 2009 05:30AM

hey guys
we were fishing croakers,and he did it on the hook set.and i think your mislead it broke down by the handle between 1st and 2nd guide so he didnt get time to high stick it

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 07:00AM

That info may change the score.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2009 07:18AM

What kind of line (mono, braid, hybrid, etc.) and what pound test (not diameter, but breaking test)?

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2009 08:32AM

"Down by the handle, between the first and second guides"...pure speculation, but do you rig w/ a weighted popping cork and then make your boat runs?

Date: May 25, 2009 08:46AM

Eight foot blank- hook set - even with braid it would take an extra long sweep to load that blank to stress failure on the back end - if no foot damage, dings or known shipping damage send it back for evaluation. Did the "hook set' take the deflection of the blank past the 90 degree point? This does not have a thing to do with the blank failure but I am amazed that the use of Kahle or Ultra Point live bait hooks with croakers would require a "bass type" hook set to load that blank to the point of failure for a yellowmouth. It would hurt me almost as bad to yank a lip of a 20 inch sow as a broken rod!

Date: May 25, 2009 09:45AM

hey guys
this is crazy iam a fishing guide in rockport tx,and no idid not have a popping cork on it we were free lining croakers no weight just a croaker hook no bill dance hookset ,no high stick both time ,iam thinking may be theres a damage box that rainshodow got,ive build lots of 7 footers no problem just this one 8ft blank.sent it off after the first break got it back builded it again first trip it breaks again in the same place

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2009 10:13AM

If the blanks did not arrive in the same shipment, then something other than shipping damage is probably the culprit. There is the chance of a bad design on that particular blank (if so, you're not alone).

Date: May 25, 2009 10:44AM

Alan please use the available Control Center on this site and Unhide your email address - or send me an email to stevens.bill@cox.net. I am also highly active is free swimming croakers for hire and trying to win a CCA Center Console with a Spotted Lady of the Evening! Sorry it took so long on the board to finally get the information needed!

I am attaching a photo of a broken blank on trout with croakers that literally drove me up a tree! Multiples too just like yours - I would like to arrange a telephone call so I can tell you the story - you will end up "croaking" when you hear the tale! I also have a proposal for you about a solution to your problem.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill Stevens
[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster