I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pac bay epoxy mixer
Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 02:22AM

How many of ya'll have used it and how well does it mix? I was thinking of purchasing one or building my own after reading the article in the library

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pac bay epoxy mixer
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (68.44.9.---)
Date: May 23, 2009 05:17AM

David; Use all the Time,Very easy and works well. get rid of the chunk of metal and pick up some 3/4"-1/2" ball bearings work better

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 05:52AM

Yes! Once you get used to using it you can't imagine going back. Barry is right on the ball bearings.

I use mine every day, and it's well worth the $$.

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 07:10AM

I have two, and use them just about every day. I'm still using the rods that came with them but plan to pick up some bearings based on what a few have said.

I agree with Mark, well worth the money!

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 09:45AM

Walt,
When using these mixers, I assume that you have to clean the bearings or mixing rods after each use with solvent?
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 23, 2009 10:30AM

Just lift or pour it out into a rag soaked with alcohol. Wipe clean and you're done.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 11:32AM

Love mine. Instead of warming finish you can warm the mixing rod before injecting finish.
Can't seem to get my mind around the reason to change to ballbearings. Seems to me the BB will leave some of the finish un-mixed.
Herb

Date: May 23, 2009 11:36AM

It won't. Either will work - the key is to have the right weight for the viscosity of the liquid you're mixing. Not all epoxies are the same and temperature makes a difference. Getting the right weight mixing ball is covered in the article.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2009 12:19PM

I have one, and wouldn't be without it.

Bill in WV

Posted by: David Teague (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 01:50PM

Thanks for all the replies, I noticed that the PAC bay mixer is 24 rpm and I can get a 30 rpm or a 9 rpm motor for 13 dollars and change, I wonder if they would work with flex coat high build as that is the finish I use most often, if that is the case it might be cheaper to make my own.

Dave

Date: May 23, 2009 05:17PM

If you go too fast, the ball will be overcome by the viscosity of the epoxy and will turn with it, or, create bubbles. The ideal speed for a mechanical mixer is going to be around 18 RPM, give or take a few RPM either way.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 24, 2009 04:45PM

I use a home-made motorized epoxy mixer. It's variable speed, and I use several different size (weight ?) steel ball bearings to mix with, depending on the viscosity of the materials being mixed. I pour the mixed epoxy out onto a piece of foil and when done applying the epoxy to the rod I pick the steel ball out of the remaining epoxy with a small magnet and drop it into a alcohol wetted paper towel for cleaning.

I don't think I'd ever go back to hand mixing as long as my mixer works. I trust the epoxy mix more when I "power mix".

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster