I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendation needed: 7 foot ML Smallmouth rod
Posted by: Joseph Barthelt (---.publicisgroupe.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 05:04PM

I've been asked to build a 7' medium light action spinning rod for casting inline spinners and lures in rivers for smallmouth bass and occasional incidental pike action. I've done some forum searching and I've seen several recommendations for 6'6" blanks, but not much on 7's. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

-jb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendation needed: 7 foot ML Smallmouth rod
Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 21, 2009 05:43PM

I would highly suggest St.Croix, SCIII 7'ML with a fast tip, also the SCIV version is a wonderful blank, the Cobalt Blue is amazing to look at. If you want to go with an extra fast tip look to the SCVI Drop shot rods, you will have to extend the blank on the butt section as they are 6'9". That is my two cents, best of luck.

Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2009 06:20PM

Castaway XP3 842

7' Length Line # 6-12 Lure Oz. - 1/8 - 1/4

PWR - L Action - Fast

Butt Dia. - 0.511 Tip - 4.5 Wt. Oz. - 2.3

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Tony Hanson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 21, 2009 06:44PM

I agree with Steve. The St. Croix SCIII (3S70MLF) is a great recommendation for the price. In fact, even if cost is irrelevant, I'd rather have the SCIII over the SCIV for the application you described. I wouldn't go with the faster tip for casting spinners etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 06:54PM by Tony Hanson.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: May 22, 2009 07:22AM

Another vote for the St. Croix 70MLF.

I personally like the LE model.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: May 22, 2009 08:36AM

Another for the St. Croix 3S70MLF, I personally prefer the 3S69MLXF. If the customer wants a 7' though you can't go wrong with the 70MLF.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2009 10:53AM

You may want to look at the G Loomis GLX P8400 blank for this application.

Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: May 22, 2009 12:57PM

And one more vote for the SCIII. I just had two customers request the SCIII 3S70MF2 for walleye rods. Many of my customers like the SCIII rods...

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: May 22, 2009 02:36PM

I have a SCIII 70mlf that I built a couple years ago and absolutely love it. You acn't go wrong with any of teh St. Croix blanks in my opinion.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 22, 2009 02:47PM

Considering you have some pike action on this rod, I may opt for something a little different. I think one of the Batson 822.5 blanks would be a good choice, the RX8 XSB or or RX8+ 822.5 would have a little more butt power, yet still have the light tip needed for the ML application. Not a thing wrong with the SC either. I'd ask the normal size of the smallmouth & pike in his water, then choose. Just my 2 cents.....

DR

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: May 24, 2009 09:52AM

I have built a bunch of the 7 ft. ml in the St Croix SCIII and the SCV (Legend Elite) both are very good blanks and my customers and fishing clubs loves them.
Buzz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster