I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ramp Help?
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-151.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 04:18PM

I have been testing out different materials(epoxy,cork,graphite) to make ramps over which Ill be putting a feather inlay. Ok Im wrapping and finishing and not getting the desired results. I have been finishing with rod level(center line). My finish tends to be sagging well more like sliding ever so slightly to the small end. Im hoping someone here can fastrack me to solution?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ramp Help?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2009 04:41PM

Check out the photo of an ultra light spinning rod in the grips area of the photos (under my name). This rod uses Batson reel seat shims for ramps, turned them on a drill press, and they were very easy. They have to be lighter than epoxy, they finish up well in their natural color (if you want a nice ivory color), not sure how they would paint, but would expect it to work ok. I used the rod for the first time today, and what a dream panfish rod it is.

I finished the ramps in multi coats of rod finish. I also blew them off carefully with compressed air-I expect if you don't you might have a rough finish on the first coat. Their open cell structure would naturally trap "chips." I didn't add the decal or feather inlay until I had a nice smooth finish on they ramps.

You may want to try ramps this way. Until I find a problem with them, I'll be doing it this way from now on. It beats any method of epoxy ramp that I've tried.

Date: May 20, 2009 05:20PM

Michael

Thanks for you input. I am going to try the brick foam . I am going to use pigmented in the finish instead of paint.

The problem I am trying to get sorted out is this "sliding finish"

Date: May 20, 2009 05:44PM

Hummm just lost my post??? Ill try again

Would it be better to orient the rod but down/tip up? Right now I have it set at level centerline. I have experimented loads and this is my only stopping block. I have to get this rod done as Im on a deadline and am out of experimentation time

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 08:33PM

I let my epoxy thicken to the consistency of syrup. I then drip big drops next to the seat and keep doing so until the ramp is filled in and the height I want. A little heat will level it and a little more will thin it enough to shrink it if it ends up to tall. And, I do my ramps in one coat.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2009 10:07PM

Yes Scott butt down tip up and try 5min adhesive not finish.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 11:04PM

I tilt my entire lathe when building AND finishing an epoxy ramp ... makes it easy enough that even a caveman can do it.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 12:20AM

Have tried lots of different materials and epoxy too. I have settled on 5 min TM Gel. I get very consistent results dripping it on and simply carefully tilting and turning the rod by hand for a few mins. I sometimes lightly move a little speck or two with a thin bodkin while it is still runny. It does not have to come out perfect! After the epoxy dries, you can go back and carefully eye-ball the angled symmetry of the ramp and easily shave off high points with a # 11 scalpel. Be sure to mask off other parts of the exposed rod. After that you can also lightly hand sand it carefully. Let all of that dry a good 24 hours before you thread wrap it or some of the moisture still trapped in the epoxy may seep through from the pressure of the wraps. Posted a few pics of this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 12:33AM by Steve Cox.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2009 08:55AM

I dont tilt a thing. Use rod bond as a base, shape it up with a alcohol wet finger, let cure, add 5min epoxy over the rod bond with it turning on the dryer for a smooth ramp. Simple, easy. perfect. No need to tilt when finishing over the ramps/paint/thread either, just do what you normally do. If you have sagging issues, you have too much finish on, or the finish is still too thin = work from the guides BACK to the reel seat = perfect consistency.

Last one: [www.rodbuilding.org]

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 08:56AM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: May 21, 2009 09:14AM

I use 10 min epoxy, keep the rod level, turn on 4-8 rpm dryer while drying. Sand after 24 hrs if neccesary. If I want a longer ramp I build up with masking tape and color it afterwards with a sharpie. I have seen Steve do his method and it came out good, I'm going to try it next time.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2009 11:50AM

Sam,

Flat black testors paint, or any color you like really.....I add the testors with a brush once the epoxy has set firm but still warm = permanent adhesion.

DR

Date: May 23, 2009 05:02AM

Thanks folks all sorted. Im using TM Lite and just got the temp up so the finish would take off quicker. I just finished as normal with rod level.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2009 12:36PM

Terry Henson, in his feather inlay seminar at ICRBE, mentioned he makes his swells with rod bond and then uses his lathe to sand and shape. I might add that he said that to blend the ramp into the rod blank he sands down JUST through the blank finish not getting into the fibers. If I'm incorrect, maybe he'll read this and chime in and correct me.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster