I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to split micro tops
Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 02:20PM

I was wondering if there are any videos or written instructions available on how to properly split micro tip tops?

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to split micro tops
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 20, 2009 02:32PM

Bill Stevens showed us at the Duck River gathering how simple it was to split them. He just took a number 11 blade for an Exacto knife, put the tip inside the tube with the cutting edge of the blade pointing to the opposite side of the braces of the guide. Then he simply pushed the blade into the tube and worked it up and down to cut the tube. It was very simple to do.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 20, 2009 03:17PM

Michael O

So that you don't run a chance of hurting yourself, please wait until Bill chimes in here or contact me direct and I'll help you prevent that possibility.

Mike

When you said "......opposite side of the braces...., did you mean with ring up or ring dow?. It does make a big difference. I always make the cut on the same side as the ring because the slit will be much longer than it would be on the other side.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Date: May 20, 2009 03:22PM

Thanks Mike, so the "exacto" blade was like a triangle shape with cutting edge on both sides? Also was the bottom of the tube filed to allow the thread to climb onto easily? Or were there any tricks used to wrap the split section? Was the tip top adhesive applied as normal and was it cleaned up in between the "split" section?

How far was it split? Was it past the bracing on the top?

Thank you,

-Mike

Date: May 20, 2009 03:27PM

Bobby, e-mail sent.

Thank you

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 20, 2009 03:58PM

Picture of all tools and split MICRO top.

Click on the picture when it loads to expand view to see details -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The split needs to be on the opposite side from brace/tube attachment - split past attachment point for full penetration of blank tip if less than 5.5 diameter.

Use Locktite one drop and blot excess -

Overwrap with A nylon thread - I use Perma Gloss for finish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 04:01PM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster