I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: A word on shipping from a UPS dock employee.......
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 01:36AM

thanks Bill and I am truely sorry for your Loss, can't imagine how I would feel if put in that same circumstance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 20, 2009 03:36AM

Bill I know what you mean. I lost My Mother when I was 18 in a terrible auto accident that should not have happened. It well be 49 years in Oct. My birthday is in Oct. I get vary quite during that month. So I know some what how you feel. But like you said some people can't pour water or they want to save a penny on a valuable item when it comes to shipping. (FROG)

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 07:43AM

In the last 8 to 10 years of shipping rods I've had 3 UPS claims. All of them honored. My most recent one was denied for lack of packaging materials. That was because my customer returned the rod to UPS for their inspection with all the bubble wrap missing. I disputed the claim, got some testimonials, photos of how I pack rods, and the pointed out the sheer fact that I ship 50 high end custom rods every single year and have only had 3 claims. I had my check in a week.

Remember...it isn't UPS not honoring your claim...it is their insurance carrier. Don't take no for answer.

I use UPS because I have had good experiences with them since the day I started shipping and will continue to do so.

Thanks for the info William

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 10:02AM

This may be overkill, but if and when I ship a fishing rod that I have spent my time building it will be packed this way. First the rod will be wrapped with soft tissue paper and then placed inside one of those foam noodles that you can get at Wally World or a swimming pool supply store. These noodles are hollow so I will split the foam noodle and place the rod inside it and secure it with tape. Then the noodle will be placed inside a Sced 40 piece of PVC pipe that is longer than the noodle that contains the rod, Then the ends will be packed with a shock material such as bubble wrap and then the ends will be secured with PVC pipe caps via PVC cement. I think that this kind of package might just survive the animals at the freight companies. I have shipped other over sized pieces and have learned from experience that there is no such thing as being to careful if you want to have it arrive safely.

Just my thoughts.

Posted by: Walt Davenport (63.97.59.---)
Date: May 20, 2009 10:12AM

Robert, I really like the foam noodle idea!

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Date: May 20, 2009 11:16AM

Another thought to Robert M's suggestion you could also use pipe insulation

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 01:53PM

Glad you folks have found this useful!! That was the intent of the post!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 05:16PM

What you put inside the shipping container is great, but how you restrain it inside the shipping container is important too like I said before when the shipping container is thrown like a harpoon as I found out when receiving some blanks with the tips sheared off after they had penetrated the soft plastic cap on the shipping tube. Finally you need to protect when the shipping tube has to navigate around the turns in the conveyor system and those skinny tubes that people use to get by cheap on shipping costs.

Date: May 20, 2009 05:54PM

I can not believe what I have read here and in the past. You guys who ship a 400 plus or less rod or blank in cheap containers. and that goes to the suppliers as well. No wonder insurance is so high. Use common sense guys / gals

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 10:17PM

I'm generally shipping heavy offshore rods, but regardless if its a lighter rod or a heavier rod, my procedure is the same.

Schedule 40 PVC, rod in a plastic sheet, then fully wrapped in bubble wrap along with several bubble wrap arbors to secure it snugly inside the pvc.
At both the top and bottom of the rod there is bubble wrap snugly packed in to remove any possibility of the rod sliding back and forth.
I use PVC caps with heavy duty tape rather than PVC cement for the purpose of easier removal

Generally I use FedEx due to cost and customer service more than anything, but in some cases I have used both UPS and USPS and so far none of them have had any issues packing in this manner.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster