I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big rod companies - broken rod %?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 19, 2009 07:19AM

Does anyone know what % of rods sold the big rod companies see returned broken? I read that 98% of all broken rods are "operator error", and not defect, but what I am interrested in is what percent of rods sold get returned broken, regardless of reason.

Thanks!

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big rod companies - broken rod %?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2009 07:24AM

Not sure. It's a safe bet that most broken rods never get returned. A few are returned to dealers who offer across the counter replacements (most are not supposed to do this but it's the Wal-Mart policy and their wholesalers honor it).

The better and more expensive rods are owned by fishermen who are more likely to return them to the manufacturer. Tom Bedell at Berkely told me that in 1986 Berkely replaced over 12,000 Lightning Rods as part of their "no-fault" replacement policy, but he didn't say how many they had sold to begin with. Only that the 25 cents added to each rod to make the replacements possible would have allowed them to replace as many as 16,000 rods before losing anything.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 19, 2009 09:32AM

I am always amused when I see statistics such as those quoted that 98% of the broker rods are due to "operator error." Just who came up with that number and how did they arrive at it? Throwing unsupported "scientific" numbers like that around has as little validity as "anecdotal" numbers. Using my own anecdotal numbers, the percentage of "Operator error" caused breakage is only 67% (2 car door slams crushes vs 1 fly rod snapping during cast). But that sort of thing really means nothing.

While I would not argue that more fishing rods a broken due to unusually dumb things done to fishing rods by anglers, I just don't think that there is any way one can accurately measure this degree of "Dumbness" in the fishing community.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (220.255.7.---)
Date: May 19, 2009 09:53AM

it is said that 84.37% of the time, figures are pulled out from nowhere... this one included....

sorry... couldn't resist

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2009 09:55AM

That number comes from the companies that make the blanks and rods. From the products returned, it isn't hard to see what caused a rod to break - defect or customer abuse.

If you continue compiling your own anecdotal evidence to the point where you can draw your percentage from tens of thousands of broken rods, that figure of 67% is likely to rise to the number quoted by Marc.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: May 19, 2009 11:49AM

I repair on average about 300 rods a year. Small numbers granted but I always ask "how" the rod broke and many of the anglers will give me an honest answer. I have only returned one rod to St. Croix in the last 10 years that was a "defect". You could see and measure the difference in blank wall size. ST. Croix agreed. 80% operator error? At least that amount probably more.

Posted by: jason brunner (---.stcroixrods.com)
Date: May 19, 2009 03:43PM

I don't have a magic number, but I can throw this at you. I've been designing blanks for St. Croix for 13 years. We have a machine "The Blank Analyzer" which allows us to test the durability of blanks. Over these years I have put thousands and thousands of them on this machine and have had only one break from what I would call a manufacturing defect. The rest...........took an extreme amount of flex to get them to blow up. For what it's worth, I thought I'd pass that along. Oh yeah, the 2 St. Croix 's I broke while fishing......totally my fault......darn boat cleats!

Jason Brunner
St. Croix Rods

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2009 04:02PM

"Oh yeah, the 2 St. Croix 's I broke while fishing......totally my fault......darn boat cleats!"

I do hope that you didn't try to slip those past the warranty department ... LOL.

So far, I have yet to see a broken rod that didn't show evidence of impact damage, highsticking OR overlining. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean I haven't replaced rods at, or near, my out-of-pocket expense as a show of goodwill.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 02:18AM

GREAT to hear about your experience Jason. Very reassuring to hear about your 'stats' through the years. Thanks for posting.

Mo

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2009 03:22PM

I have had a fair number of fly rods and blanks break over the years that were not my fault and I am pretty sure I did not damage. When you wrap a new blank and go out into the driveway and the middle section splits lengthwise about a foot long in the middle of the section I see that as a rod problem. . Perhaps they sanded the scrim too thin? This blank was a replacement for one that had a very sharp crook in it, so I know they do not all come out straight. I think it is hard to design and manufacture a light rod from graphite and some of the companies cut corners in quality control and perhaps design.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster