I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Set
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 09:17PM

Has anyone else had this stuff dissolve finish on a wrap? I may have just ruined a rod I need to deliver this week. I followed the instructions on the DC website. I brushed a small amount on a tiger wrap to get ready for the name decal. I may be able to save it with the final coat tomorrow, but it ate the finish (TM regular).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Set
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 09:28PM

Chuck there is no possibility that Micro Set "ate" any epoxy finish that was hardened to the proper state of cure for decal application. Where was the brush stored that you used? What other opened bottles were near? Who tampered with your Micro Set? Gotta be something else - Is the the same brush that you used to cover the Electric Decals? When you find the villian we are all interested!

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 10:04PM

Chuck I had a similar experience with Micro Set. I believe Bill touched on the reason. I applied a waterslide decal after finish had cured only a few hrs. past the dry to the touch state. Used Micro Set as usual-where it ran to bottomside of the blank caused that spot to swell. Using TM as well. As soon as I realized it I cleaned the area with distilled water-finish cured but area was still slightly raised. I was able to sand it down once fully cured and refinished with no problem. Chalked it up to jumping the gun. Have since waited until finish cured longer to apply decals and now as soon as I apply one I clean the bottomside and surrounding area with a clean paper towel and distilled water. Have not had it occur since. Did you by chance not wait long enough? Should have mentioned it when it happened. Maybe Jimi Ellis can add something to the subject should he read this.

Chris

Date: May 17, 2009 11:24PM

Bill, this was the first time I tried micro set. I've used many, many decals, but have had a few issues so I thought I'd try the Micro Set. I read the instructions several times. The website says...
There are three main reasons why you may have cloudiness behind your decal.
1. You did not put a coat of epoxy on the rod blank before applying the decal. Even in the
smoothest and shiniest rod blank, there are hundreds of tiny holes on the surface of the blank. When you
apply the decal directly on the blank, these minute pockets trap air and, therefore, cause cloudiness.

I put a coat on 8 hours earlier. I have the heat at 77 degrees in the shop. I checked the leftover TM on the foil and it was hard enough to be handled. I just tested some Micro Set on a rod I did yesterday and it didn't soften that finish so that must be the problem. I wish I had known it would do that. The brush was a new yellow flex coat brush right out of the bag.

Thanks

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 17, 2009 11:57PM

I use it all the time and have never had any kind of problem with it but I usually let my finish set overnight before I apply the decals

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2009 08:06AM

I would give the epoxy a minimum of 24 hours set time at room temperature before applying the decal and the Micro Set.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 18, 2009 09:40AM

Thanks. I thought it was just a wetting solution and did not know it acted like a solvent. It looks a little better today. I'll try a top coat tonight. Hopefully I don't need to redo the wrap. Live and learn.

Date: May 18, 2009 10:27AM

It just dawned on me that we may be talking about two different things. When you see a cloud form on the surface of a water slide decal upon drying it can be made to vanish with one brush strike of Micro Sol. Sometimes it may take two applications to clear it up. It has to do with transferring some of the adhesive on the waterslide to the upper surface during initial placement. When it dries it can be quite severe if you left the decal in the water too long and excessively moved it around with your finger for final posistioning. You are also correct when you identify Micro Set as a wetting agent - it contains no solvent.

Date: May 18, 2009 11:23AM

The Micro Set I have stinks like some type of solvent. I just received it from DC last week with a decal order. When I brushed a little on the top of a tiger wrap that was epoxied 8 hours earlier it immediately softened the epoxy finish to the point that I made brush marks in the finish. I followed the instructions to a T.

I may have added to the confusion when I quoted the website regarding cloudiness. I had none of that. The next line is what I was referencing - "You did not put a coat of epoxy on the rod blank before applying the decal." mentions nothing about a 24 hour wait, or that Micro Set could affect a finish that has cured lest than 24 hrs. Again, I thought it was just a wetting agent. The website says - Micro Set prepares the surface with special wetting agents that cuts the oils in new paint and converts the adhesive on the back of the decal to a stronger and more lasting one.

It actually mentions "new paint". So I did not think it would attack anything, especially 8 hour old finish.

Like I said, live and learn. I just wish it wasn't on a rush order to a good friend.

Thanks everyone.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2009 12:35PM

Eight hours letting your first coat of epoxy cure is not long enough. The ONLY time I wait 24 hours for anything is to let my finish cure before I even attempt to place a decal in place. I don't use Micro Set or micro sol anymore because I don't see a need for it. Just wet the area you epoxied AFTER it cures with some water and slide your decal on. I find the more steps you take to apply a decal whether it be adding color preserver, micro set or sol or anything else for that matter will give you more chances of having some kind of problem down the line.

By the way Micro Set, in my opinion smells just like a tube of clear silicone, just not as strong.

Lance

Date: May 18, 2009 01:14PM

Smell like the cleaner used for sterilization of the mens room at the Greyhound Bus Station - dilute glacial acetic acid - Lance is a professional sniffer - if you don't believe it just visit his shop during one of his manufacturing binges! Be sue to bring your forced air mask and don't light any matches - be sure not to stand in the same place over two minutes or you will be stuck to the floor with contact cement or epoxy!

Date: May 18, 2009 01:24PM

Yup, it was like opening can of stink. Another reason to buy more decal paper from Swampland! Check the photo page in a few minutes....

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2009 08:27PM

I have used Micro Set for years with no problems. But I follow Jimi's instructions to the letter. Your first coat of finish must be completely cured. I wait at least 16 hours. Then, I apply the decal using the directions, and wait at least twelve hours before applying the top coat. Never a cloud problem. I wonder if that wouldn't work for you.

Date: May 19, 2009 06:31PM

I also followed the directions to the letter. It turned out okay. Not perfect, but okay. It will probably bug me the rest of my life.

Next time I wait at least 16 hrs, or I get my butt moving and build a drying box.

Thanks all!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster