I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle size question
Posted by: Brian Noel (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 02:00PM

Hello All,

I plan on picking up a St. Croix SCII blank later on today, but I really don't like their handle kits. I got spoiled on BassPro's handles. I managed to find something similar, but I'm not sure what size the handle will need to be. The rod itself will be 6' 6". Is there a general rule of thumb for this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle size question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2009 02:48PM

That depends on what and how you plan to use the rod. The right length for you may not be the right length for somebody else.

Do you cast 2-handed? Do you need better leverage against the fish you catch? Do you mount a spinning or casting reel on the rod?

I'd suggest you start by doing this - take your current favorite 6'6" rod and hold it like you do while fishing. Is the handle length perfect as is? Do you wish it were a little longer or a little shorter? Start there and then work longer or shorter. Mock the handle on tape bushings and see what seems to fit you best.

Posted by: Gary Amis (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 03:03PM

Brian - my 6'6" rods sport a 8.5 to 9 inch handle ...........9 inch is the longest I would put on a 6'6" blank.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: May 17, 2009 06:19PM

Brian - one thing I have heard a lot from clients regarding BPS rods is the "Power Hump". Does this add to being "spoiled"? Just wondering. If so, you may need to get someone to turn a handle for you.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Brian Noel (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 06:29PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. It'll be a spinning rod for my Dad, so I'll have to make some educated guesses based on the BPS rod I know he has now.

Alex - Regarding the "Power Hump", I could take it or leave it. My biggest issue with the St. Croix handles is when you're holding on to the rod, you have to hold it around the hardware, and it gets really uncomfortable. In the BPS rods, everything is hidden under some nice comfy cork. Actually, my biggest problem with custom rods so far, is the handles. I guess I should find someone to turn some handles for me.

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: May 17, 2009 06:49PM

Try these links:

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

These look close to what I have seen on the BPS rods. You may just have to purchase the arbor to get the inside diameter to fit your blank.

Eric

Posted by: Scott Donley (---.propel.com)
Date: May 17, 2009 09:17PM

hi brian,
also check out these handle kits from janns netcraft,cat #215-106 and 215-107.they are on the lines as the ones Eric suggested.I love these .they are very comfortable.
scott

Posted by: billy broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 10:02PM

Brian if comfort of grip is that big hands down the am tec earo is what you want. They only come in small sizes but are really comfy.

Posted by: Brian Noel (---.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: May 18, 2009 09:45AM

I've used the Fuji handles before. They are pretty comfortable, and i do like them, however they're a bit on the small side. I usually only use them on smaller rods, because I can only fit a Shimano Spirex 1500

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 18, 2009 08:06PM

Brian,
Have you looked into the larger 17mm Fuji VSS spinning seat? They still make the HPS 17 foregrip that is similar to what your talking about, I believe, that will fit any 17mm Fuji seat.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2009 09:55PM

Spencer,
I have recently began using the American Tackle Aero reel seat. A very comfortable reel seat indeed.
I use a larger cork handle and turn it down so it fits nicely into the reel seat. Then, I finish turning down the rest of the handle to a nice comfort size.
I then take a Fuji screw on nut and use it to replace the standard nut that American tackle uses on their reel seat. I have recently completed 6 rods using these seats and all of the clients are very well pleased with the comfort of the seats and not having to have fingers on threads.

take care
Roger

I have previously posted a few pictures of the different nuts that I use on these seats:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is a picture by Mike using the seats with their stock nut on a custom handle:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Good building
Roger

Posted by: Brian Noel (---.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: May 19, 2009 02:08PM

Well it looks like I'm going to have to try my hand at turning my own handles next.

Ought to be fun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster