I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Problems with Heat Gun Abalone Method
Posted by: Tony Holland (---.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 15, 2009 08:38PM

I tried the heat method with thin lam i got at the show..My final attempt looks better than my test trails. I am just a hobbyist. The rod is for my brother and it won't cost him a dime. If he doesn't like the cracks..I'll be glad to fish with it ! I didn't seem to get the cracking in the abolone itself..but i definitely have the cracks in the "seams". I managed to make them much better on my attempt on the rod..but they are there. This was my first attempt of either kind with abalone. I'll try the soak method on my next rod. I hung around the second day of the show just to catch Kevin's seminar..and it was well worth staying. Guys I am pleased with my first run after finish. I posted a pic..not a great pic..but a pic after one coat. I'll be doing at least one more coat of finish. Again I am just a novice and I can understand the need for better results when building for a client. I just thought I would share my first run at it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 15, 2009 08:54PM

Tony
Please post your results. I think that the heat method is like anything else and takes practice. I wouldn't knock any method on ONE attempt!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 09:31AM by Mike Barkley.

No Problems with Heat Gun Abalone Method
Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.102.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2009 03:21AM

Obviously we try to avoid these types of online negative discussions between sponsors as each side is going to spin things as they see them to support the products they sell.

As we have discussed before on this form and with Mr. Knox - their are many ways to get a job done, each one has it's advantages.

We have many, many customers who have used the heat gun method which have called and told us of their successful results - their is no problem with it. We have also had many customers who have used the vinegar soak method who had failed results. We believe each method, when done correctly will provide acceptable results or conversely, when done improperly will provide poor results.

We have just posted some photos of the heat gun method:
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Abalone inlays are a simple way to really dress up a rod, we hope you try some today.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Re: No Problems with Heat Gun Abalone Method
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 16, 2009 07:50AM

Todd/Tom,
I don't feel this is a negative conversation, but rather a a conversation about the results. There is no negativity implied on my part. When I undertook the learning of this material and how to apply it, the goal was to bring abalone to the forefront and to get people to use it. I have succeeded. Whether its fractured, heatgunned, soaked, cut into strips, etc, the results are all beautiful.

My posting of the pictures was not meant to be negative. My test wasn't biased in any way shape or form. I was sincerely hoping that the process was a success as the 3 day soak is sometimes difficult as no one knows what they will have going on 3 days down the road. At least its that way with me. As builders, we are looking to take rodbuilding to the next level. While the veneer is on the rods, some of us are looking for a fracture free application.
If you will look at the original post again, I was asking what your opinion was as to what went wrong, not a post saying that the process didn't work and was bad. I still am looking for your opinion as to what I should try differently. I heated the veneer well and took my time applying the burnisher to the veneer. Any insight is appreciated. If some cracking is normal with this process thats fine.

Can you take a macro picture of the rods that you posted so that we can look at it close up?

Thanks again for your insight and again, this is not a negative post, or even one to say one is better than the other. I want nothing more than to find a process that removes the need for a 3 day soak!

Kevin Knox

Re: No Problems with Heat Gun Abalone Method
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 16, 2009 03:59PM

I'm going to try a one day vinegar soak and then use the heat gun on that.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 06:45PM

I'm gonna go get a lemon and some Tabasco sauce, buy a dozen Abalone's, eat them and throw the shells in the trash. Wash it down with a pint of ale, and have another and another after that. This is m favorite method for Abalone.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 09:56PM

I agree with John! I have done 8 or 9 of these now and every one has cracked to some extent. The wrap does help to make it less noticable but its still there. I have now tried all three products discussed and gotten opinion's from a lot of people and it would seem the best vote is for the crack and roll method. A little frustrating as it's the least time and energy. Wish I could watch the video I bought to see what i may be missing but it came only viewable with quick time on a computor! I use a pc and not mac and it skips and is all jarbled.

Date: May 17, 2009 11:16PM

Billy,
I have offered a refund. Remember? Last week? Im still waiting for it to arrive. What more do I need to do? Or should I sit here and watch you take pot shots at me from the confines of your computer keyboard?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2009 11:28PM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2009 11:17PM

Billy,

Quicktime for Windows is available as a free download:

[www.apple.com]

Date: May 18, 2009 10:15PM

Tom,
I have tried quicktime download and it makes no difference which version I download the results are the same (skip and jump) it is not viewable. The problem lies I believe in my computor not being fast enough to view dvd's. Had it been explained too me in my many emails to the seller prior to the purchase that it was a dvd "NOT VIEWABLE IN A DVD PLAYER" I would never have purched it. Perhaps a little less abrasivness and a little more understanding of the customers satisfaction would make people more understanding.

Date: May 19, 2009 06:59AM

Billy,
I look forward to receiving the dvd back and I will take care of your situation. No abrasiveness, no hard feelings. It didn't work for you, and I will take care of it.

Kevin

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2009 07:30AM

This has been a somewhat odd topic thread. John Chamorro even emailed me yesterday and stated that his intention here was "To deter sales for him (Kevin)." I frown on that type of thing, but at least he was honest about what his real intentions on this forum have been.

Anytime you get a bad item from a supplier most are happy to make a refund or a replacement. I know that Kevin offered you a refund last week and hopefully you'll take him up on it.

Date: May 20, 2009 01:21AM

This has indeed become a odd topic. I have suscribed to this forum for what 5 or so years and it certainly has not been my intention in that time to deter anyone's sales. I do believe however it should be stated when buying a dvd that it is not a dvd player viewable dvd.Buyer be awhare. In both the website and numerous correspondence that was never mentioned. I know others feel the same way but can only speak for myself. As too Mr Chamorro I don't know him and never have. I do appriciate Mr Knox congenial response above and will indeed send the dvd back to you soon. If I had recieved a similer response or better yet an attempt to try to fix it (send a actual player dvd replacement) right when I said i was having problems I would have been a happy customer. Actually I really wanted to view the dvd but can only view the print which is basicly the same as I have in print already from my rm issue.

Date: May 20, 2009 07:10AM

Billy,
I am not a computer guru and I don't know how to do a television dvd. Im sorry again. Also, I don't know if it is possible to do a television dvd AND have the printable word document on the same DVD.

"If I had recieved a similer response or better yet an attempt to try to fix it (send a actual player dvd replacement) right when I said i was having problems I would have been a happy customer."

Billy if you check your email chain with me, you will find that you sent me an email at 11:58 on May 10th. I replied with the same response as I have in posts on here at 2:31 the same day. Im sorry that I was unable to make a TV DVD, but I just don't know how to do that (don't know what programs are needed), etc, but I will look into it and if I can do it, I will let you know and send you one, no charge.

Kevin

Posted by: Brian Murray (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2009 12:17PM

John, What did you say to hurt someones feelings? Whatever happened to creative criticism?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster