I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Problems with Heat Gun Abalone Method
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 13, 2009 04:56PM

Todd,
I watched the video and was very excited to have another method for applying Abalone and bending the veneer without cracks to blanks. I took a 50 class standup tuna blank and applied veneer to the buttwrap section. I followed the video and heated with a heat gun on low. I experienced less than acceptable results with cracks in the veneer that run up and down the entire piece of veneer from end to end. I experienced cracks that are about 1/16th" apart and consistent. I slowed down the rate of rotation of the blank and also experimented with more heat and did not see any variance in results. This is an offshore rod so OD is not an issue. From what I saw, the laminate bent, but the shell cracked horribly. I used Aqua Blue Maui shell on the butt wrap and the other brand on the stripper guide section.

Any insight to this is appreciated.

Here is a photo.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Kevin Knox

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 08:22PM by kevin knox.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems with Heat Gun Abalone Method
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2009 09:02PM

Seems the results of the heat gum method are like the rythem method. Sometimes it works! Kevin glad to see you are still exploring different methods and dispelling more myths. I hope you can get to the bottom of this failure quickly.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 12:33AM

I saw a guy who used Abalone on his custom pens. He installed it on the thin diameter pen tube by laser cutting the piece so that itcould be "rolled". The results were hexagonal (or whatever a 12 sided polygon is called, tetragonal maybe?). I guess some people don't mind that look, but I know it stood out like a sore thumb to me and I didn't like it one bit.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 07:25AM

Billy its called a Dodagon. Everyone knows that! lol.

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.snfccasy.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 09:24PM

Kevin:
Did both brands of shell crack using the heat gun method?
I just got some through the mail the other day & I have watched the video a couple of times.
I was planning on putting it on a rod this weekend......
Don't know what I should do now.....

Date: May 14, 2009 10:10PM

Yes, Both brands. In conversation with someone from Mudhole, they said that they saw "horizontal" cracks (cracks that run up and down the blank) in the veneer doing it this way. Jon, I recommend vinegar for best results.

3 days for laminated veneer and 90 minutes for raw. But if you have the mudhole veneer, veneer fracture is your option.

See the photo's that I posted. If the cracks are fine with you (some like it), then thats a fine option for you.

Its a shame because I was psyched about being able to just pull out the veneer and cut and place it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Kevin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 10:45PM by kevin knox.

Date: May 14, 2009 11:57PM

Kevin:
I have the mud hole veneer.
Is that considered laminated or raw? Or is my only option the "cracked & crinkled" look with this product?
If I soak it how will it affect the glue on the back?
What happens when you finish over this particular veneer (I use Aftcote)?
Obviously the cracks will still be visible but will they be more "sedate"?
Sorry if I sound like my 2 1/2 year old grandson with all the questions...I'm just trying to figure out if I want to use it on these Batson RCLB 7 & 8 ft. medium rods I'm doing for a buddy.
Thanks,
Jon

Date: May 15, 2009 07:10AM

I don't know what you bought. Is is colored? Is it shiny? If it is raw (you can feel the shell when you rub your fingers over it, then don't soak it. Does the backing have the "3m" logo on it? If you soak it, it has absolutely no affect on the adhesive.

When you finish over raw veneer, it goes from completely dull to brilliant shiny.

I don't think the cracks will disappear, but the will be more sedate with 2-3 coats of finish.

If you ask me "Are we there yet?", Im gonna reach back there and give you something to think about!!!"

Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 07:11AM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2009 08:05AM

I have 2 rods that I placed THEN-LAM on and the finished size of the abalone were 10mm and 9.7mm I had no cracks that were visible before the finish was applied. The rod which had the 9.7mm finished abalone was a "Custom Builder Rod Blank" from Mud Hole it is a IS561L 5' 6" 2-4 line wt blank in pink. I used the three day soak method with no problems. I have tried the heat gun method and results as Kevin, cracks and It did not seem to lay flat. I am still trying to get the heat gun method to work If one can do it why can't someone else?

Date: May 15, 2009 08:35AM

Kevin:
Sorry, I forgot that they sold both types.
The front appears to be coated and smooth, I couldn't feel the abalone when I rub it.
It has the 3M logo on the back.
It is the one they advertised to be applied with the heat gun and their description is: "Abalone Shell Inlay Strip".
I got it in orange and gold.

I've been known to pull over, jump out, open the back door & just stare at the little terror.
They get real quiet, real quick.

Thanks,
Jon

Date: May 15, 2009 08:38AM

You have thin lam. 3 day soak will take care of it for you.

Good luck.

Kevin

Posted by: John Chamorro (---.178.44.129.PAT-CA.netvelocite.net)
Date: May 15, 2009 11:17AM

I have done several applications with Kevin's method of soaking in vinegar. I have followed his instructions both from the article he sent me and the video. I tried the soak times from the minimum to the maximum he recommends. It all cracks. There was no discernible difference between the veneer that was soaked for the shortest time nor the longer. The only difference I can see is that the longer it soaks the darker it gets overall. I did 2 small pieces on a gaff handle as an experiment. I soaked one and not the other. You can't tell the difference in the 2 applications. All 4 applications were on blanks from about 5/8 to 3/4 in diameter. All that said, no matter what your results are , the ab is still beautiful, cracks or not. I'm going to try the Mud Hole product next week. I'll post up an honest report after that.

John

Date: May 15, 2009 11:28AM

It doesnt crack once you get the hang of it.

Its a delicate process and given a lot of time and repetition, you will become more comfortable with working with it. Practice makes perfect in this application. You will see in the attached photo that there are no cracks and this is on a butterfly jigging blank. It is just under 1/2".

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Kevin

Date: May 15, 2009 11:47AM

I think that the term "crack" may be what we're discussing. I see the same cracks or fold lines in your sample as I'm seeing in my work.

John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2009 11:51AM

What you're seeing there are not cracks - those are the subtle lines between the abalone pieces that are set into the laminate. You will see them in your flat veneer stock even before you attempt to bend it.

Date: May 15, 2009 12:04PM

No, I know what the laminate lines are and look like before and after application. What I'm seeing is cracks. The method I'm using to minimize the APPEARANCE of the cracks is to roll the wrap on a hard very smooth surface prior to wrapping with the retaining thread. It mashes all the highs and ribs to a smooth surface again. After finishing you can barely see them but they are there.

Date: May 15, 2009 12:17PM

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. You might be onto something.

Date: May 15, 2009 12:23PM

I'll do a video and charge everybody $40.00 !!!!

Date: May 15, 2009 01:35PM

Two things - First why not put up a photo so folks can see how well your method works.

Second, you don't want to continue taking cheap shots at people here. It will be detrimental to your continued participation on this forum.

Date: May 15, 2009 02:22PM

Tom,
I sent you some pix as I don't know how to post them to the group. Feel free to post them up if you wish.

Second, that wasn't meant as a cheap shot. Sorry if it was perceived that way.

Maybe I can get some help from one of my computer guru friends and do up a U-Tube follow up type video on both the vinegar and the heat method. I have some AB coming from MH and I will report back with the results.

John

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster