I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blanks
Posted by: jonathan r ghazal (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 03:13AM

Is there any way to tell what kind of rod blanks I have? I purchased what I was told were two 8'6", 2-piece, Lamiglas IM6 blanks. One is brown, the other is grey. Both have glossy finishes. I bought them from a local dealer that used to get blanks from Lamiglas, but apparently got in trouble for selling them too cheap. He told me that he found these in a storage shed that has not been gone through in almost 10 years (If you knew the guys, you'd believe it!). He sold them to me for REAL cheap ($4.00 for both rods!) but there were no decals with them. I would like to build these and sell them, but don't want to lie to whoever happens to buy them. Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blanks
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2009 07:23AM

The appropriate story, IMO, would be that they are "vintage blanks" of unknown origin and that you found them in a very unique fashion and decided that they would make an excellent rod, so you worked a deal to acquire them. Anything more than that and it probably won't be correct. Bear in mind that the ONLY warranty will be the one YOU extend. Be sure to fully test the blanks before you build on them.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 11, 2009 03:14PM

I'm not aware that Lamiglas ever cared what you sold a blank for after you bought it from them, Loomis and others however do care. The Loomis IM6 blanks were brown, don't remember Lamiglas selling banks by their material, they had names like G-1000, Certified Pro, Esprit.

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 08:33PM

You can use the CCS system on them. That would get some information. Also measure the tip and butt size. You can compare that with some descriptions of other blanks from the same time to get an idea.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 10:10PM

Johnathan,
I am guessing that they are Lamiglass Pro series steel head rods.

I few years ago, I had a local supplier with a bunch of similar blanks. Also very inexpensive at the time. As long as you sorted out the worst crooked blanks they made wonderful rods.
They were discards from the factory due to either finish or blank straightness issues. At that time, the retail price on those blanks in new factory condition was $60.

However, as the other post stated - since you don't have documentation nor receipts for the blanks, you must not assume anything about the blanks.
All that you can say is the measured length, and perceived power and action.

Don't assume a brand, model or anything else, without specific provable documentation.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 10:13PM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster